News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 Phone Port

Started by mo832, May 21, 2014, 05:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

Can someone tell me If the wire contacts in the Obi100 phone port are all active or not?

Normally with a modular phone jack, there are 4 wire contacts. 2 wires per line. For a 2-line phone or 2 separate lines, you could use the same jack and just use 2 of 4 wires for each line. The Obi has 4 contacts, but in most cases only the inside 2 are active and the outside 2 (for "Line2") are dummies or not active.

On the Obi100 are the second 2 wires just there for show, or do they connect to something? Is it sp1/sp2 or do only the one pair of wires actually work?

I hope this question makes sense as to what I'm asking  :-\

Rick

Only one pair works, and only one phone can be connected to that port (or a wireless base station that then powers multiple phones) or it can be connected to the house wiring and power multiple outlets if the POTS service is disconnected (and not supplying any power to the outlets).

SP1 and SP2 are accessible from the one phone, same as the OBi 110.

mo832

Thanks for clearing that up :).

So, in other words, the 2nd pair goes off to "nowhere" ?

Rick

I haven't tested them with a meter, I just know they are not setup to use a 2-line phone, or be split into two different lines.

ceg3

This is probably a lame contribution, but a splitter works perfectly well connected to the OBi100.

Rick

Quote from: ceg3 on May 21, 2014, 06:41:22 AM
This is probably a lame contribution, but a splitter works perfectly well connected to the OBi100.

Same as connecting them to the wall phone outlet and then powering multiple phones.  The point is that only ONE pair of wires is used, you can't power two different phone lines.