News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help with Obi project - updated

Started by ProfTech, May 23, 2014, 10:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfTech

I'm probably in over my head here but there seems to be several on here familiar with "PBX Stuff". I have an Obi 110 and would like to use it with FlowRoute. The problem is with outbound caller ID. In this configuration my FlowRoute user ID is displayed as my caller ID when I dial out and neither the OBi nor FlowRoute has any way to change this. So I was wondering what it would take to insert a device / machine between the Obi and the internet and intercept certain messages and add the "Privacy-asserted-ID" header? FlowRoute is perfectly happy to send the Caller ID as long as this header is present and the Obi has no way to add it. I have several old PC's that I could install Linux on and maybe set something up... ???

azrobert

I never played with headers, but I'm fairly sure Asterisk would be able to do what you want.

SipSorcery can easily add headers. Is the following what you want?
http://www.sipsorcery.com/mainsite/Help/DialPlans#Header

Unless you already have a free account SipSorcery is $69/year.
To run a PBX on an old computer 24/7 it might cost you that in electricity charges. 

QBZappy

Does this help?

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3958.0

Quote from: mrjoe on August 25, 2012, 03:29:04 PM
I can use my own Caller ID with my Voip Company by using the following:

From Username
P-Preferred-Identity
P-Asserted-Identity
Remote-Party-ID

Changing the username doesn't help.
Is there anyway of using any of these ways from the Obi110?
Thanks,
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ProfTech

All answers way cool. I'm actually thinking about ordering a Raspberry PI to play with on this project. Haven't really had a fun project for several years. I see where Asterisk is available to run on the Raspberry... Am I on the right track? Thanks for any and all input.

ProfTech

After 3 or 4 weeks of learning, trial & error and experimentation I was able to install Asterisk on a PC I had here and get everything up and running. The addition of Asterisk to the picture gives a whole range of new possibilities! I thought I would try this before buying the Raspberry. Now it should be a simple matter of transferring two configuration files to the Raspberry and I should be up and running. Thanks to you guys for giving me the impetus to do it.

Ostracus

vtsnaab

A fascinating collection of info & replies here, thanks for posting it:
Quote from: Ostracus on June 14, 2014, 09:18:09 AM
Pogoplug is a good choice as well.

Worthy of note as well is that the last reply to that thread was posted 2012-Dec-11 so whatever devices & sources it suggests are more than a little out of date.

Here's my 2 cents on this subject from my own experiences:
Running a PBX on a Pogoplug (if one could get a unit new for under $20...) is still a very cool & attractive idea and one which I may wish to tinker with at home at some later date myself.

My biggest 'hangup' (LOL) with wired/home/small office VOIP has always been the interfacing & phone choices because there are a great many available - it is hard to know what is decent quality - and the interfacing can also be quite expensive.

My work place needed a phone system upgrade very badly as its ancient one had proprietary phones that were dying out - and I was going to do it with VOIP -until- I examined the interfacing & phone choices offered back then.

The adapters to bring in the POTS lines back then were a real problem - and the 1000 or so phone choices (with reviews & opinions suggesting & damning most of them at once) was enough to give a man a HUGE headache.

So instead of VOIP the office has been using a highly reliable pre-VOIP system that cost very little, has tons of features and for less than just a few phones would have cost new I was able to source the entire system + phones + an add-on VM system + a full set of spares.

Since that time many VOIP parts have come way down in price and the field itself has made significant leaps in maturity as well - so if I had to replace that now I'd likely really lean towards a small, low-cost thing with the needed external parts to interface it - as long as it was not hideously complicated to set up...

Best Wishes to All !!

TodWulff

Quote from: ProfTech on June 10, 2014, 05:42:43 PM
After 3 or 4 weeks of learning, trial & error and experimentation I was able to install Asterisk on a PC I had here and get everything up and running. The addition of Asterisk to the picture gives a whole range of new possibilities! I thought I would try this before buying the Raspberry. Now it should be a simple matter of transferring two configuration files to the Raspberry and I should be up and running. Thanks to you guys for giving me the impetus to do it.

I am going down this path currently of getting an Asterisk implementation setup.  I actually chose a bit of a different route with hosting Asterisk however, and have elected installed it on my router.  I'm working through the sip.conf and extensions.conf configs now.  I elected to go the way of the router vs. a Pi or PC as, due to the fact that my router is my edge device and is powered by a UPS, it was the most logical choice for me.  Not having yet another physical device to mess with is a good thing, not to mention not having to shell out any more monies.  And I am learning more about embedded linux that I had thought I would need to... :)

'tis fun times, for sure.

-t