News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 won't place calls to bluetooth without internet

Started by CaptSmokey6, June 03, 2014, 05:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptSmokey6

Hi, I have some issues with obibt on my obi202. I have internet outages all the time and whenever I try to place a call to my Bluetooth device during an internet outage, I get an error saying I have no IP address and it will keep giving me this error until my internet is restored. How can I make obibt work without internet? My computer is able to place Bluetooth calls without internet, but why not the obi202?

drgeoff

You mention both an OBi and a computer which suggests that you also have a router.  If that is the case most routers - certainly all those I have encountered - will continue to give out an IP address to LAN side clients even when their WAN side internet is down.  Even if yours does not you could set a static IP address on your OBi.

CaptSmokey6

That isn't really what I wanted to do. All I want is to be able to place calls to Bluetooth with or without a internet or router connected.

drgeoff

Well, you can satisfy the literal meaning of the complaint in the error message by giving your OBi a static IP address.  (That won't prevent it working if it is ever connected to your router.)  Whether you'll then be able to make calls via Bluetooth is another matter.  :)

Usetheforceobiwan

Having experienced the ObiBT with my 202, I would tell anyone wanting this functionality to pick up a used XLink BTTN or Gigaset One and connect it to the FXO of an Obi110.  That combo is more reliable, sounds just as good and works with regular telephones.  Compared to the 202/ObiBT setup, the only thing you lose is some steering of inbound calls as the BTTN gives incoming line identifying info in the CNAM which unfortunately can't be manipulated for routing by Obi's. 

ianobi

@ Usetheforceobiwan - I have the Xlink BTTN setup as you describe with an OBi110 and it works fine. Peer Name (Cname) is recorded as "XLink BT"; Peer Number is the correct CallerID of the incoming call and allows for all the usual OBi routing functions.

Usetheforceobiwan

ianobi, I use Obi as a gateway to an Asterisk box and for the cell calls forwarded to Asterisk I wanted the ability to identify which of the three cell connections on the BTTN the call came in on and steer it accordingly in the Obi before it was forwarded.  The BTTN does provide that info in the CNAM info forwarded to Asterisk but I was somewhat disheartened that Obi's don't allow you to bridge or steer calls internally based on matching in the CNAM info, Obi's only allow steering based on matching patterns in the CID from the incoming call.  While I doubt it would ever happen, and I while I can't imagine it would be too hard to implement, it would be nice if Obihai allowed you to steer calls based on pattern matching in CNAM, not just CID.

ianobi

I see what you mean. Yes, as far as the OBi is concerned CNAM is for information only.

It's interesting that the BTTN has the facility to prepend "1:", "2:" or "3:" to CNAM to indicate which line the incoming call is on. Maybe XLink could be persuaded to do something similar to CID.

I'm not holding my breath for a solution to this one!