News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Crazy behaviour when home wiring introduced

Started by canufrank, June 11, 2014, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canufrank

I can only assume this has something to do with latency. In my desired configuration, on about 80% of calls, my OBi202 dials the same party twice using the same SP on a single line. I can hear one session ringing and being answered at the destination. At the same time, I can hear another session going straight to their voicemail (because 2 'people' are calling them at the same time).

On the other calls, both sessions are happening (I can tell by looking at my call log with PhonePower) simultaneously, but the destination system seems to connect them, allowing both conversations to continue.

OBi202 config:

• only one SP configured
  • SP1 is PhonePower
  • only one phone cord attached- to Phone1 port

All of this occurs when the phone and OBi are plugged into a 110 punchdown block. The block also goes out to home wiring jacks and some other patch panels. It also has a 100K Ohm Resistor on one of outgoing cables.

If the phone is plugged directly into the device, everything works as normal and only a single outgoing call is shown in PhonePower.

Is there some configuration that can be tweaked that might help me here?

drgeoff

I doubt it is anything to do with latency.

That everything works as it should when the phone and Obi are not connected to the home wiring but behaves as described when they are would lead me to believe that there is a POTS line somehow connected to the home wiring.

canufrank

I'm not sure what you mean by a connection to a POTS line...

If you mean the PSTN, there is no connection to the home wiring.

On the other hand, if you mean twisted pair, 24-gauge wiring, then yes: that is what I mean by home wiring. It is the same type of wiring that connects the phone when plugged in directly. Varies from Cat2-Cat5.

Can you explain what problems that would cause? Both the OBi and the phone are wired directly to the 110 panel (home runs). In fact, it only amounts to about 6 feet of cable. But, I would like to be able to plug phones into any jack within the house (which I've rerouted to the same panel).

The setup works fine with another ATA (MagicJack). I assumed the OBi was timing out somewhere and that could be tweaked.

Shale

Phone 1 jack has both line 1 and line 2 wired to it. One way to solve this is to plug a 2-wire cable into the phone 1 jack.
See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4996.0