News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

packet loss

Started by gworona, May 09, 2011, 08:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gworona

When making a call the other party cuts out every once in a while.  When I ping the OBi110 I get 18-42% packet loss.  When I use another cable and router port there is not change.  When I ping another device there is 0% packet loss.  Does this mean the OBi110 is defective?

RonR

There should be no packet loss between devices on the same wired LAN.

yhfung

gworona,

Where did you make your call? I believe that your barodband HAS DONE something on your packets. Try to use other means to make your call, for instance, VoIP over VPN.

YH
Hong Kong and China OBi Users Group
www.telecom-cafe.com

gworona

Quote from: RonR on May 09, 2011, 08:34:56 PM

That's what I thought.  But the question is if there is packet loss, is it likely that the problem is with the device and do I need to return it.

gworona

Quote from: yhfung on May 09, 2011, 08:49:38 PM
gworona,

Where did you make your call? I believe that your barodband HAS DONE something on your packets. Try to use other means to make your call, for instance, VoIP over VPN.

YH

I called from the phone connected to the 110 to my cell phone.  While having the periods of silence on the I pinged the 110 and saw that they correspond to ping timeouts.  After letting ping run for 50 or 100 times I got the 42% loss.  Since the ping is on my local network, I know the broadband did not loose  the packets.

RonR

Quote from: gworona on May 10, 2011, 12:25:56 PM
Quote from: RonR on May 09, 2011, 08:34:56 PM

That's what I thought.  But the question is if there is packet loss, is it likely that the problem is with the device and do I need to return it.

If the OBi is the only device on your network that is experiencing packet loss, then I'd have to be very suspicious of the OBi.  At this point, this is probably best addressed by the Obihai folks.