News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ring.to Clairification

Started by bsdaiwa, August 07, 2014, 03:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsdaiwa

I am thinking of replacing my GV account with Ring.to but have some questions, can anyone provide answers to the following?

1)   Does Ring.to offer the same free services that GV did such as:
Free inbound and outbound calling to US, Canada phones?
SMS messaging
Assigning free inbound number
Number Porting
Number forwarding
2)   Do I need to purchase a newer version of my Obi 110's and 100's to make Ring.to work?
3)   Are there any fees?

LeoKing

1) Assigning free inbound number? No, you need to port in your number. However, if you're using the new Groove IP Android app, you can choose a new local # for your Ring.to account.

2) Yes, I can't use Ring.to with my 2 OBi110's that I bought last year. Hopefully, this will change in the future.

3) If you use Ring.to on the OBi devices, you're required to have 911.

HDFLucky

Quote from: LeoKing on August 07, 2014, 03:39:31 PM
1) Assigning free inbound number? No, you need to port in your number. However, if you're using the new Groove IP Android app, you can choose a new local # for your Ring.to account.

2) Yes, I can't use Ring.to with my 2 OBi110's that I bought last year. Hopefully, this will change in the future.

3) If you use Ring.to on the OBi devices, you're required to have 911.
All of these statements are true, but may leave the wrong impression with the OP.

1) The number obtained through GrooVe IP is free from ring.to, and may be used simultaneously with both GrooVe IP and an OBi.

2) You don't need a newer version of your OBis, they just need to have been initially purchased since 1 May, 2014.

3) Not just "required to have 911," but Anveo 911.

bsdaiwa

What happens if you use the Ring.to in another country, how do you handle the 911 requirement?

cluckercreek

You have to use Anveo in the US.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: cluckercreek on August 08, 2014, 09:07:39 AM
So I can't use Ring.to when I am located in another country like I did with GV, because of the 911 requirement?

cluckercreek

I wouldn't think so. I would contact Ring.to support directly to find out.

LeoKing

Quote from: bsdaiwa on August 08, 2014, 09:29:31 AM
So I can't use Ring.to when I am located in another country like I did with GV, because of the 911 requirement?

On the OBi's, I am afraid so at least for present time.

I would do what cluckercreek said, contact Ring.to to see what they will say.

HDFLucky

You can use the ring.to service outside the USA, but you still have to purchase the Anveo 911 package (even though you can't use it). https://bandwidth.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/379231-what-if-i-don-t-want-to-purchase-911-service
(which is exactly why I'm not using ring.to, even though I have a number from them via GrooVe IP)

LeoKing

Quote from: bsdaiwa on August 08, 2014, 09:29:31 AM

I am in the US and I have 911 through my mobile service so I don't need to add 911 from another provider. I am using Ring.to + Groove IP on my cell phone as a secondary line and I am quite happy with it. The call quality is decent on WiFi and 4G/LTE data connection. I can also check (visual) voice mail and send/receive text messages using the Ring.to app.