News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice as voice gateway?

Started by Marc, August 29, 2014, 03:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Is it possible to setup Google Voice as a voice gateway on the OBi1032 for outgoing calls for SP2, 3 & 5, for example?  I understand we'd have to use an application specific password for GV, if that would even work.

The reason why I'm asking about this, is that if GV is setup on one of the SPs, and another SP is PhonePower, which in this case is where I have GV forwarded to, the 1032 reboots when a call is received on the GV number.  I have a few DIDs that have unlimited incoming, but are pay per minute for outgoing.  So I wanted to use GV as my outgoing for those DIDs/SPs.

Another possibility, maybe, is to use PhonePower as outgoing for other DIDs/SPs.  Is that something which can be done?

Thanks,
Marc
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

Marc

Quote from: drgeoff on August 30, 2014, 05:10:36 AM
I'm 99% sure that Voice Gateways can only be SIP.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=371.msg2179#msg2179

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4977.msg32161#msg32161

Thanks for the reply and links. I had tried searching but honestly was too unfamiliar with voice gateways at the time to get useful results.

So now that GV is out of the question, is there any problem setting up the same phhonePower account as a SP and a VG?  I know one huge problem is security since I'dhave to enable sip credentials for pphhonePower.  But I have the unlimited plan with them, so may be the best option.

Any other recommendations for either an outbound service or obi config to use sp1 for all outbound calls, regardless of the did selected for the call?

Thanks.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

drgeoff

I've read your two posts slowly and carefully several times but I don't understand.  >:(

I cannot think of a reason why anyone would want to configure the same account on an SP and a VG (on one OBi).

And as to "use sp1 for all outbound calls, regardless of the did selected for the call?"  DIDs are for inbound calls and don't mandate anything about outbound calls.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on August 30, 2014, 01:04:06 PM
I've read your two posts slowly and carefully several times but I don't understand.  >:(

I cannot think of a reason why anyone would want to configure the same account on an SP and a VG (on one OBi).

And as to "use sp1 for all outbound calls, regardless of the did selected for the call?"  DIDs are for inbound calls and don't mandate anything about outbound calls.

Hi Marc:

I have to agree with drgeoff; you are trying to solve one problem with an invalid solution, rather than fix the original problem, and the solutions don't make sense.

The correct solution is to simply use Google Voice as one of your SPs, and configure it as the default SP for outbound calls.  This is a basic, plain-vanilla check-mark setting on the OBiTALK web portal for your OBiPhone.  The portal will automatically configure your phone's digit maps accordingly.

If your phone is rebooting upon receiving a call forwarded from GV to PP, you've got some other issue.  Perhaps you mistakenly have the Google Chat forwarding destination check-marked on your Google Voice settings page:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

If you also have your PP DID number check-marked as a forwarding destination on that page, and that's how you wish to receive inbound calls (I am guessing, so you can get CNAM), then UNcheck Google Chat.  The check mark is only used for INbound calls.

If that's not the problem, then I suggest logging into the OBi portal, delete your OBiPhone, wait a couple of minutes for it to remotely reset your IP phone, and then start all over from scratch, adding the phone back again.  There are so many ways to mess up the configuration of the phone, and it's possible that you've just made some sort of mistake.  Also:  there have been a lot of firmware updates for that phone, including a fix for unwanted reboots, so you should make sure you have the current firmware installed, too.

I suggest looking in the OBi 1032 section of this forum for more help, if you need it.

Shiblee:  you've already crammed the forum with enough of your endless questions; must you also squat in other user's discussions, too?  Come on, do some studying and learn how the products work, or post to your own threads.

drgeoff

Quote from: Shiblee on January 30, 2015, 12:44:22 AM
Unfortunately your admin guide is not having enough information for beginner and there are a lot of bugs in your products. Thanks.
I disagree on both points.

1. The admin guide has lots of information even for a beginner.  Agreed it is not easy for a beginner to understand but the OBis are complex products and there is a lot to understand if your needs go beyond what can be configured in a few clicks on the Obitalk portal.

2.  The Obi products are certainly not bug-free but "a lot of bugs" is an exaggeration.  My experience is that Obihai do take action on reported bugs which really are bugs (rather than user misunderstandings).  Why don't you help by reporting the bugs you have found?

And why didn't you start a new thread instead of adding irrelevancies to this one?

Shiblee

Wastage of time..better be creative...But I agree with u..& it's not easy for a beginner to config obitalk expert with the admin guides info..OBiOn wasted my two days..Bye