News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202/GV Fax How To?

Started by dial.tone, September 17, 2014, 09:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dial.tone

I have recently reconfigured my Obi202 with one GV account on SP1/Line1 for regular calls and a second GV account on SP2/Line2 for faxes.  This setup worked perfectly well before I switched in April from GV to Callcentric/Circlenet in preparation for the end of XMPP support.  Unfortunately, I can't remember what I did originally to get the fax line to work, but it had something to do with T.38 and the G711U and G711A codecs.  I have tried every combination of enabling/disabling the codecs and the T.38 and T.38 Redundancy values, and I have also set the baud rate on the fax machine to 9600.  None of those changes has seemed to make a difference: if I dial into the fax number from a regular phone or cell phone, it rings and connects just fine.  However, when I try to receive a test fax (using faxzero.com) the line doesn't even ring.  If there is a thread that explains how to solve this, my apologies; I have looked and not found it.

azrobert

Quote from: dial.tone on September 17, 2014, 09:48:31 AM
if I dial into the fax number from a regular phone or cell phone, it rings and connects just fine.  However, when I try to receive a test fax (using faxzero.com) the line doesn't even ring.

The phone should ring. Is Faxzero having problems? Can you test receiving a fax with a different method?

I send faxes without any changes to my config. I only send a few faxes a year and GV has been rock solid. Recently had to send 2 faxes on different days and they both failed. I sent them with my PSTN line. I just tried sending a 3 page fax and it worked. My point is VOIP can be flakey when sending/receiving faxes.

You can try this for outbound faxes:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6625.msg41922#msg41922

dial.tone

Quote from: azrobert on September 17, 2014, 01:53:08 PM
The phone should ring. Is Faxzero having problems? Can you test receiving a fax with a different method?

Once again, azrobert, you are THE MAN!  I don't know anybody who knows our beloved Obi devices better than you, so I was encouraged when I saw your post.  Needless to say, I have benefitted form your stellar advice in the past.  Ok, enough gushing.  So, to answer your question: well, apparently faxzero.com is having problems.  I tried again through myfax.com and the fax went through without a hitch, verifying that incoming faxes work.  I then followed up by faxing a document to my wife's work to check the outgoing functionality, and that worked too.  In my own defense, since I'm feeling a little sheepish for not trying a different fax service on my own, I will say that faxzero looked like it was working properly, including its sending me the customary validation email and success/failure report.  Anyway, in case somebody else can benefit from this info, I can tell you that when I ran both fax tests, all the codec/T.38 settings were in their OBITALK defaults (T.38Enable inner box was greyed and checked with red exclamation mark next to it).