News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Setup on OBi100 SP1 "Connected" but not working

Started by Steve_94303, September 12, 2014, 02:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_94303

SP1 shows "Connected" to Google Voice after setup today however it does not take incoming calls and on making an outgoing call, I get a short normal ring followed by a rapid busy signal.

In order to setup google voice I cleared out all old service providers, removed the OBi100 from OBiTALK, performed a factory reset, added the OBi100 to OBiTALK and went through the Google Voice setup process for SP1.  This did not fix the problem.

Any help?

cluckercreek

Sounds like you didn't make a call from your gmail account. That has to be done first.

Steve_94303

Nope, I've made many calls from my GV account.  Tried again both before and after reconnecting the OBi100 to GV still with no luck.

Steve_94303

Contrary to what I read in a number of posts, Google Chat is absolutely required to support OBi.  For some reason, Chat was deleted from my GV call forwards since last may.  Once I re-added Chat, everything works.

SteveInWA

Steve_94303:

Correct.  At this time, it's still needed, because OBi devices are still performing call signaling via XMPP Chat protocol.

Users that are instead forwarding their GV calls to a SIP ITSP and configuring that ITSP on their OBi don't need the Chat pseudo phone any more, and Google Hangouts users not using OBi devices don't need it either, since Hangouts doesn't use Chat.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 12, 2014, 10:06:29 PM

Correct.  At this time, it's still needed, because OBi devices are still performing call signaling via XMPP Chat protocol.

Hey Steve. Any idea why MWI and stutter tone no longer work with GV on the new firmware? I don't understand how changing the authentication method would affect this. Any insight on this?

SteveInWA

Good question, Taoman.  I have no idea how they got it to work at all in the past, and I recall that it kept breaking, so I don't know how the new GV support would change it.  It may have to do with the limitation on the type of data that can be accessed under the new authentication permissions, vs the old, which had unfettered (dangerous) access to everything.

MarkObihai

Quote from: Taoman on September 12, 2014, 10:12:49 PM
Any idea why MWI and stutter tone no longer work with GV on the new firmware?

Hi Taoman, can you check that the MWI options are enabled for the SPx service you have GV setup on?  Go to Expert Config, Voice Service -> SPx Service and check these options are enabled:

MWIEnable   
X_VMWIEnable
MessageWaiting

- Mark.
Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)

Taoman

Quote from: MarkObihai on September 13, 2014, 02:04:12 AM
Quote from: Taoman on September 12, 2014, 10:12:49 PM
Any idea why MWI and stutter tone no longer work with GV on the new firmware?

Hi Taoman, can you check that the MWI options are enabled for the SPx service you have GV setup on?  Go to Expert Config, Voice Service -> SPx Service and check these options are enabled:

MWIEnable   
X_VMWIEnable
MessageWaiting

- Mark.

I have checked this already.

I have checked MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable but there no longer is any setting for "MessageWaiting."  Checking the boxes for MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable makes no difference.

Edit: Actually it turns out when I enable MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable I can no longer call out using Google Voice. When I try and make a call all I get is dead air. When I uncheck those two boxes Google Voice works normally again.

hpolack

I have discovered the same issue with my SP1 account and figured out it was because I changed the Google email account naming as I own the domain.  It still listed the old email address in the chat section.  I was a bit taken back when I could only delete it and then it was gone.  I reloaded gtalk chat logged in and made a call and it looks like that reconfigures google chat back to the account with the right email address and all is fine now on SP1.  I only type this out for the benefit of others who might have similar issues.

Now my real question.  SP2 is now configured with a second email account.  I know it is properly setup as I have the same email/GV on another device OBI202.  It is ringing that device perfectly.   I guess the one thing I did not consider is if you are not allowed to have the same email/GV setup on two different devices.  It is saying that it is connected, but never rings on the OBI100.  I setup it up on the OBI202 first.

SteveInWA

Quote from: hpolack on September 13, 2014, 05:28:06 PM
I have discovered the same issue with my SP1 account and figured out it was because I changed the Google email account naming as I own the domain.  It still listed the old email address in the chat section.  I was a bit taken back when I could only delete it and then it was gone.  I reloaded gtalk chat logged in and made a call and it looks like that reconfigures google chat back to the account with the right email address and all is fine now on SP1.  I only type this out for the benefit of others who might have similar issues.

Now my real question.  SP2 is now configured with a second email account.  I know it is properly setup as I have the same email/GV on another device OBI202.  It is ringing that device perfectly.   I guess the one thing I did not consider is if you are not allowed to have the same email/GV setup on two different devices.  It is saying that it is connected, but never rings on the OBI100.  I setup it up on the OBI202 first.

OBi 20x devices support simultaneous inbound GV calls to multiple OBi's.  OBi 1xx devices don't.

Echo

Quote from: Steve_94303 on September 12, 2014, 10:01:41 PM
Contrary to what I read in a number of posts, Google Chat is absolutely required to support OBi.  For some reason, Chat was deleted from my GV call forwards since last may.  Once I re-added Chat, everything works.
How did you re-add Chat? I don't have that as an option now.

hpolack

My steps are outlined in my post, but I will try again in case it is not clear.  In order to add Google Chat back into the Google Voice setting, I downloaded and logged into Google talk Beta.   Once logged into the email account with my GV number, I then did a call from the Google Talk app.  I went back to GV setting and bam it was sitting there.   Maybe others have a more simple approach and honestly, I am unsure if it would work with those converted to Hangouts with different steps, but my account was converted and it did not show up again until I loaded the Google Talk app and made the call.

Others have a different approach?

hpolack

I am not sure I understand.  I am able to setup two different GV numbers; one in SP1 and one in SP2.   The SP1 currently has a GV number that is not setup on any other Obi devices.  The GV number, let's call it #0284, I have in SP2 is setup on my OBI202 device along with 2 additional GV numbers and all is working well.   I am not sure how having #0284 setup on the OBI202 would impact the OBI100 at all.  Please explain further your statement about OBi 1xx devices don't.  Is it that OBi 1xx can only have 1 GV number in SP1?

[/quote]

OBi 20x devices support simultaneous inbound GV calls to multiple OBi's.  OBi 1xx devices don't.
[/quote]

cluckercreek

That would be yes that the Obi1xx can only have 1 GV number. The Obi2xx series can have 4 GV numbers.

Echo

Quote from: hpolack on September 14, 2014, 07:17:09 AM
My steps are outlined in my post, but I will try again in case it is not clear.  In order to add Google Chat back into the Google Voice setting, I downloaded and logged into Google talk Beta.

I did that.

Once logged into the email account with my GV number, I then did a call from the Google Talk app.

I didn't see anything on the little talk window to click to call from that app, nor to log into the email acct w/my GV number.

I went back to GV setting and bam it was sitting there.

I did log into gmail, but the only hint of calling from gmail was with Hangouts. I didn't want to use that but saw no way to get the old chat interface and no way to make any call from the little talk window, so I did use hangouts. I called some of my own phones and it showed the calls coming from my GV number. I went back to GV setting and no bam and no Chat sitting there.

Maybe others have a more simple approach and honestly, I am unsure if it would work with those converted to Hangouts with different steps, but my account was converted and it did not show up again until I loaded the Google Talk app and made the call.

My frustration probably shows here, but don't think I blame you, hp. I just want to make GV work on my Obi 110 again as before. Now I can't call out because it rings a little and then makes fast busy and I can only get a ring on the house phones because I have PhonePower on SP2 and GV forwards to that.  >:( :-[

SteveInWA

Echo:

Log into Gmail, not Google Voice, on a laptop or desktop computer, not a mobile device.  On your main Gmail inbox page, look on the left side of the page for your avatar.  This is either a generic head and shoulders icon, or your photo or GIF that you uploaded to represent yourself.  If you don't see your avatar at all, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the Gmail page, and click the small grey "chat balloon" to toggle it on or off.

Click your avatar to open up Hangouts options.  Look down at the bottom of the white options box for the small link "Revert to old Chat" and click it.  See my attached screenshot.

After you have reverted to old chat, click the telephone handset icon to pop up the Chat dialer to make a call.  This should re-install the Chat forwarding destination to Google Voice.

After you confirm that it did so, you can reverse the procedure in Gmail by clicking "Try the new Hangouts".  Your Chat "phone" will not go away.

Echo

Thank you Steve! You removed every possible foolish error and hence I got to Old Chat, called my mobile (GrooVe ip), answered it, called myself back, answered with the SP1 phone and, to borrow a term, bam--both problems were fixed. Now to enjoy the Obi-GV nostalgia  :)

When my new Obi 202 arrives I will have enough SPs for GV, PP, CC and Ringto on one box. I'm giddy.

cajackson

Yes!  Thank you Steve... that was the recipe. THe old Google Talk beta would not allow me to login and was not needed. No reason to install that.