News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Any way to get a number ported to Ringto ported back to Google Voice?

Started by mcpaul, September 16, 2014, 05:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcpaul

So I succumbed to the the FUD raised by the specter of Obi no longer supporting Google Voice and ported my long held number from Google Voice to Ringto. I want to get it back to Google Voice and discontinue my Ringto service. Is it possible?

cluckercreek

SteveInWA

Unfortunately for you, Google Voice can only port IN phone numbers from mobile phone carriers.  Your ring.to number is considered a VoIP land line number, so it can't be directly ported back into GV.  You would need to first port it from ring.to into a prepaid mobile carrier (e.g. GoPhone or T-Mobile), wait a while (at least a few days) for the carrier databases to be updated, and then port it into GV.

Porting-in instructions and FAQs:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667

mcpaul

Thanks; appreciate the responses. The number (which I've had for over 30 years now) started out as a landline that I got ported in to Google Voice by first porting to a prepaid mobile carrier. Sucks to have to do it again, but that's what I get for running scared  ;D

SteveInWA

Wow, your poor phone number has been through the carrier rodeo.  Good luck.

Just a tip, if you do decide to go through this route (I realize you've done this once before):

The single greatest cause of GV number porting failures is user error, in submitting incorrect validation information to the carriers.  This causes endless problems, requiring manual intervention to clean out and re-start.

So:  if you port your number out to GoPhone, then a) be sure to wait a few days and let the dust settle before taking any action, then b) contact GoPhone customer support and specifically ask them something like "It turns out that I actually need to port my number out of GoPhone to another carrier.  Would you please give me the account number I need to give that carrier, to authenticate my GoPhone account for porting?"  This account number is NOT displayed to you on your GoPhone portal page.  The PIN is the one you use to view your account details on the GoPhone portal, not necessarily the same as your voicemail PIN.  Similar steps apply if you use T-Mobile as your patsy er, intermediate porting point.  Do NOT port it into some hybrid Mickey Mouse carrier like Republic or RingPlus or FreedomPOP.

mcpaul

Thanks Steve; that's great advice. It's a hassle no matter how you cut it, so I'll probably just put this off a while. Again, I appreciate the input.