News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't dial using GV on the web.

Started by chetstone, September 17, 2014, 10:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetstone

When I am logged into Google Voice on the web and click "Call", type in the number and select "Google Talk" (my OBI), it says "Calling You" but the phone connected to the OBI never rings. Same thing happens when I try to dial using my Google Voice IOS app. All other GV features work fine. I can pick up the phone and dial out, incoming GV calls ring through (when I remember to turn off Do Not Disturb, oops!), etc.

This just started happening in the last week or so. Is anyone else having this problem? Perhaps it's related to the recent announcements? I reconnected to GV in late May after discovering from this forum that it was still working (and not being able to find a replacement of adequate quality.) It's been working great all summer. Now this.

SteveInWA

Hi:

That method of calling is no longer supported by Google.  If you have another service provider with a phone number (DID) that you have added as a forwarding phone, you could have GV call that number instead.

chetstone

Bummer! Is there an announcement about this?

Using a forwarding phone number (either voip or landline) in my experience almost always results in lower call quality than using GV directly with the XMPP/OBI.

I wonder if I got a SIPsorcery account I could work around it that way, or does that also require a forwarding phone number?

Thanks for the reply.

Alyson61

chetstone, I just tested mine and it is still working.  I moved the sms to Hangouts but I can still use the call function on Google Voice.

cluckercreek

Rick

chetstone

Thanks for reports that it is working. It just started working for me again. Only thing I can think of is I rebooted my computer yesterday. Crumbling cookies? Although why that would affect the iPhone app (which is now working again also) I don't know.

zorlac

Sometimes this works fine and sometimes it doesn't, I've gotton lazy & use it alot.
No rhyme or reason, it's just the way it is.  ;D