News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 - Calls forwarded from landline to Google Voice go straight into GV menu

Started by darinf, September 23, 2014, 05:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darinf

I want landline calls coming into the Obi110 to forward to my GV number.

That is working, but when the incoming call forwarded to GV, the caller is put directly into the GV attendant menu instead of hearing the GV outgoing message.

In the GV settings, under "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from this phone?", I have all the phones set to No.

I even have a PIN number set to access GV voicemail.

So I can't figure out why GV would send all calls from the Obi110 directly to the GV attendant rather than play the outgoing message and allow the caller to leave a message.

Any ideas if there's a way to fix this problem?

Thanks,
-Darin

SteveInWA

Hi Darin:

That's not normal behavior at all.  You may not actually have a full Google Voice account with your own, Google-issued or ported-in GV phone number (or you did in the past, but your number was reclaimed by Google).

Log into your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer web browser, not from a mobile device, and go here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Look on the left side of the page.  Do you see the exact two words "Your number", and not "Access number" or "Get a Voice number"?

darinf

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 23, 2014, 11:28:45 PM
Hi Darin:

That's not normal behavior at all.  You may not actually have a full Google Voice account with your own, Google-issued or ported-in GV phone number (or you did in the past, but your number was reclaimed by Google).

Log into your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer web browser, not from a mobile device, and go here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Look on the left side of the page.  Do you see the exact two words "Your number", and not "Access number" or "Get a Voice number"?

Thanks for the reply Steve. Yes, this does not seem normal.

I created a new GV account specifically to use with this new Obi110, so I think the number must be good.

In GV, it definitely says, "Your Google Voice Number" (see attached screen shot).

Is GV somehow seeing the call coming from "Google Chat" (really the Obi110 using GV Chat) and automatically assumes I want to go into voicemail? It shouldn't do that since I have it set in on GV for the Google Chat "phone" to NOT have direct access to voicemail, but maybe it's different coming from an Obi device.

I actually just tried calling my GV number directly from the Obi110 using the GV line and sure enough, it sends me directly to voicemail.

So I guess GV won't treat an incoming call from the Obi as a regular call. It always sends the Obi call directly to the attendant.

Maybe I can use a different GV account to forward the call to this GV account.

Any ideas?

darinf

I finally figured it out. I am not sure if this is the best solution, but at least it works.

My goal was to use GV as voicemail for a land line using an Obi110.

Here's what I had to do:

• Create two GV numbers: GV1 and GV2
  • Configure the Obi110 to use GV1 as SP1
  • In Expert settings, under "Physical Interfaces/LINE", enabled "CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable"
  • In "CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber" Enter the forwarding number "SP1(1xxxyyyzzzz)" where the pone number is the GV2 number.
  • I also set the GV2 number to "Do Not Disturb" mode so the caller will go straight to voicemail rather than waiting for more rings.

So this way I can use the features of Google Voice with my landline like voicemail, voice to text conversion, email notification, etc.