News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 File Sharing over the internet--Urban Myth?

Started by Kman609, September 25, 2014, 04:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kman609

First off: Thanks for all your help guys. You've made this foray into the alphabet soup of strange acronyms easy.

I saw this question was asked back in 2013 and no one responded:  Has anyone gotten their OBi202 to share files over the internet?  It claims to be able to connect a USB hard drive or thumb drive and share their
contents with up to ten users.  We use Dropbox a bunch, but it is slow down south (Brasil) where my daughter is working temporarily.

My daughter (an MIT brainiac) is in town, and she was interested in this feature after I told her about it.  I found the section in the Administration Manual, but does someone have instructions to do it in normal speak?

Also, I set up the OBi202 using OBiTALK, and I read somewhere that if you access the device through its web pages, you can erase all changes OBiTALK made during the setup process.  Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

PS very happy with the performance so far.  I have SP1 and SP2 configured for GV and Callcentric respectively.  I am filtering my calls and sending telespammers to "Lenny", a bot designed to waste their time  http://www.itslenny.com/.  I also have my laptop , an old smartphone and an IPad Air set up as soft phones...because I could :).

CLTGreg

I don't use the feature but I don't know why it wouldn't work. OBiTALK certainly is the best way to go for most people and you're right that you need to pick one method or the other or you'll get your config overwritten.

For OBiTALK, go in to advanced configuration from obitalk.com and the values you need will appear.

The next trick will be to know what your IP address is or use a dynamic DNS service to get to your network. Then, if needed punch through a port from the router to the OBi.

Kman609

Thanks for your advice.

I did some fiddling, and accessed the File Manager (or whatever its called) through both the LAN and the WAN ports on the OBi.  I tried an HP 8 GB and a Lexar 16 GB thumb drive formatted in both FAT32 and NTFS.  I could read/write to the 8 GB, but could never get the 16 GB one to show up.  I also have a 2 TB hard drive, but it's highly encrypted, so I didn't both bother with it.

I tried all kinds of files, and all showed up except for .mkv, which I could not get to show up regardless of size.  Never did try to access it from the internet as that requires opening my fly to the world, something I'm not willing to do without expert help.

I reset everything I had changed back to where it was and confirmed all my calling features were still working, so I didn't wreck anything despite my poking around via WAN access.

I'd rate this as a DIY fail, only because I'm too chicken to open up my router to the world without help from someone above my pay grade--and the lack of .mkv file support.

I'm going back to doing what I do best--screwing with telemarketers :).

Ostracus

"File Sharing" is one of those features that could have been better used elsewhere. Expanding the internal memory. Making the address book larger. MP3 storage for Music On Hold.

HDFLucky