News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

DO NOT ADD DEVICES TO WEB PORTAL -- Also seeking help on multi location install

Started by wjfinnigan, October 10, 2014, 01:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjfinnigan

I am looking for help on my install see below. 

Adding one of my working OBI's at my main location corrupted the setup.  I then deleted the device from the webpage and it wiped a lot of the setup off of the previously working OBI. 

Be safe, don't add your devices here if the setup isn't standard.

I have been using OBI's as endpoints for FREEPBX. 

We are opening a new office, and I setup an OBI there, but was unable to get it to register with the PBX at the main location DLINK 655.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

We've pulled the router of the loop on the old location to see if the new location would then be able to connect, no such luck.  We've setup port forwarding for the 5060 and the 10001-20000 range on the new location pointing to the obi, on the old location it is setup for the pbx.

we have several working obi's in our old location using the FREEPBX system, any help would be appreciated.  I'll check back after I fix the OBI that was wiped by the webpage setup system here.

SteveInWA

You lost your configuration when you added the device to the portal, since OBiTALK added it as a new device with default config values.  You should have first backed up your locally-performed configuration, then added it, and then restored your configuration.

• Make a configuration backup using the OBi local web interface, in the System Management-->Device Update section.  Check the "Use OBi Version" option (I know, this is confusing, and isn't explained).
  • Then, after adding the OBi to the OBiTALK portal, go into Expert configuration mode, and import the backup.  This synchronizes the portal and the locally-defined configuration.
  • Make whatever changes you need on the portal side, and optionally, if you decide to make further changes on the local side, repeat the backup procedure.

soundview

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 10, 2014, 06:49:55 PM
You lost your configuration when you added the device to the portal, since OBiTALK added it as a new device with default config values.  You should have first backed up your locally-performed configuration, then added it, and then restored your configuration.

• Make a configuration backup using the OBi local web interface, in the System Management-->Device Update section.  Check the "Use OBi Version" option (I know, this is confusing, and isn't explained).
  • Then, after adding the OBi to the OBiTALK portal, go into Expert configuration mode, and import the backup.  This synchronizes the portal and the locally-defined configuration.
  • Make whatever changes you need on the portal side, and optionally, if you decide to make further changes on the local side, repeat the backup procedure.

I have CC and voip.ms setup in my local configuration and tried to import them in Expert configuration but it does not work. Since my Obi202 is working this isn't a big deal but Obitalk and my local settings are not in sync. Is it necessary to have the portal and local setting synced and should I be concerned?

azrobert

If you configure your OBi locally via the web interface check:
System Management => Auto Provisioning

Under OBiTalk Provisioning:
Method must be Disabled.

Now it doesn't matter if the OBi is out of sync with OBiTalk.

soundview

Quote from: azrobert on October 15, 2014, 08:32:05 AM

This says it all - thanks!

TLDR; You don't need to sync Obitalk with your local configuration

SteveInWA

Quote from: soundview on October 15, 2014, 12:27:22 PM
Quote from: azrobert on October 15, 2014, 08:32:05 AM

This says it all - thanks!

TLDR; You don't need to sync Obitalk with your local configuration

You're getting confused by the term "sync".  What I meant by "sync" was that, if and when you need to use the OBiTALK portal (for example, to add or change a Google Voice service provider configuration), then you do need to first backup and then load, or "sync" your local configuration to the portal, so that it doesn't overwrite the local configuration.  You can then disable it afterwards.  I didn't mean that you need to sync on an ongoing basis.

soundview

SteveInWA and azrobert: Thanks to you prolific and knowledgeable posters, owning an Obi device is a little less stressful!

I have never used Expert Configuration having jumped to the web interface back in May because that what voip.ms told me to do. The recent change to GV authorization nudged me to reconfigure my settings. Wouldn't it be great if we could just set up the Obi and forget about it?  ;D

Using Obitalk, I deleted GV from SP1, auto upgraded the firmware and reauthorized GV on SP1. Lucky me that my local SP2 and SP3 configurations were not overwritten in the process . Maybe because I disabled Firmware update and Obitalk provisioning right after reboot. I attempted to import my backup but it appeared not to be working because I didn't understand how it works. Later, when reading the Expert Configuration intro thread, I figured out that I was supposed to uncheck all the red exclamation parameters in order to use the imported configuration. Oops ... never did and my old setting somehow survived despite having the Obitalk boxes checked. Web interface shows all parameters set as before. Did the import work anyway? Were those parameters ever overwritten? Chalk it up to dumb luck.

Anway, I'm back using the web interface which I understand. Hopefully I won't have to touch my Obi settings until long after I forgot how it I did it last time...  ???