News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 202 instructions with 2 line phone-landline and voip

Started by spoll, October 13, 2014, 12:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoll

Hi-

I'm set up with Vestalink but I recently had to dismantle my set up and cannot figure out how to get it back.

I have a 2 line phone, one line hooked up to a jack and the other to Verizon DSL modem and then to Netgear router. Both connected via a 3 into 1 adapter to the wall jack.

I can't figure out which line goes where, please help????

Thanks-
Scott

Shale

I think you are trying to connect both lines of an OBi202  6P4C (6 position 4 contact) RJ connector to a wall socket that has a 6P4C connector. Then your 2-line analog phone plugs into a different 6P4C connector elsewhere in your house. 6P4C connectors are 9.65 mm wide.

Have I misunderstood? You day your phone currently hooks to your router, and that is not what I would expect, unless your router also included an ATA.

After you have isolated your phone wires from the telephone company wires that leave your house, you will just use a 4-wire telephone cable that has 6P4C connectors. You will plug this into the Phone 1 jack on the OBi, and you will leave the Phone 2 connector with nothing plugged in.

Phone 1 has line 1 on the inner pair, and also has line 2 on the outer pair of the 4 contacts that it uses.

The Ethernet jack of the OBi will connect to the Netgear router for an ethernet connection.

spoll

Shale I believe that solved my problem!  Thank you so much!

Best
Scott

spoll

I spoke too soon, it actually didn't solve it yet.  What I have that goes into the 2 line wall jack is this adapter: http://www.electronix.com/images/19-312.jpg

Currently when my wife gets a call on line 1 the caller goes to my answering machine. I need to figure out how to add the adapter to the wall jack and which telephone cable goes where?

Thanks

Shale

Plug your wall jack into the OBi Phone 1 jack. It  has both L1 and L2 on it. You do not need an adapter at this point unless you want to break L1 out separately at that point.

You can plug your answer machine into the OBi Phone 2 jack. It only has L2 on it (on the inner pair). Alternately plug into the adapter L2, which could be in a different room.

You can locate your adapter in a different room, and plug a 2-wire device into either the L1 or L2 jack as appropriate.

spoll

Not really following you here, I only have one wall jack here and prior to my setup getting disassembled it worked fine.

Shale

Quote from: spoll on October 14, 2014, 02:36:50 PM
Not really following you here, I only have one wall jack here and prior to my setup getting disassembled it worked fine.

Clearly I am not following you either. If you have only one wall  phone jack  (not internet), why would you want to hook your OBi202 to it at all? I was presuming that you had at least one other phone jack,  in a different room, and you wanted to use the house wiring to pass the analog phone lines to that different room.

So what is it that you want to do with your analog phone lines that are generated by the OBi202? If you want a machine to only respond to line 2, plug that machine into the phone 2 jack.