News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to combine Obi with Magic Jack?

Started by Jfriedlund, October 26, 2014, 03:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfriedlund

I have Magic Jack with my main number and want to keep the number, have the phone ring when this number is called and have caller ID show this number when I call out. What I don't like about Magic Jack is you have to dial 10 digits for local calls. I have ObiTalk with Google Voice and it allows me to dial local calls with 7 digits. Is there a way to combine the two services so I can have my name number ring when called, show this number on caller ID when I dial out and still be able to use 7 digit dialing?

azrobert

First the disclaimer: I never owned a MagicJack.

You can use an OBi200 with an OBiline adapter or an OBi110 with the MagicJack. These devices are normally used with a PSTN line, but they should work with the MagicJack.

You would be able to dial 7 digits and the call would be routed out the Line port to the MagicJack. Inbound and outbound calls could be routed over the OBiTalk network to/from a 2nd OBi.

If you can port the MagicJack number to GoogleVoice, this is how GV work with the different obi models.

You can define the same GV account on any 2 OBi devices and outbound GV call will work on both.

This is how inbound calls work:

2 OBi1xx's
The last OBi1xx to connect will receive the inbound calls.
Both OBi1xx's will have to route inbound calls to the other over OBiTalk network.
Now it doesn't matter which OBi1xx receives the call.

OBi2xx and an OBi1xx
The OBi2xx will always receive the inbound call.
You have to route inbound calls from the OBi2xx to the OBi1xx

2 OBi2xx's
Both OBi2xx's will receive the inbound call.

I believe you must port a number to a mobile phone then port it again to GV. Maybe someone else can help you with this.

giqcass

Quote from: azrobert on October 26, 2014, 04:34:23 PM
First the disclaimer: I never owned a MagicJack.

You can use an OBi200 with an OBiline adapter or an OBi110 with the MagicJack. These devices are normally used with a PSTN line, but they should work with the MagicJack.
I can personally confirm this works just fine with the MagicJack plus.  I used it connected to a Obi110 and connected to a 202 with an OBiline adapter.  I prefer the Obi110 because it can support a pause in the dialing string.  Otherwise they seem to work equally well.
Long live our new ObiLords!