News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Faxing , success stories?

Started by GC_convertee, May 15, 2011, 12:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GC_convertee

Hi,
Has anyone successfully gotten inbound and outbound faxing to a regular analog fax machine using google voice only working? (not using sip or another ata nor a pots line (think totally free solution just fax + gv + obi + broadband)
I know that you should turn down the speed of your fax (think theres some post about it here) and theres other dependencies on broadband line quality, even ATA with SIP are finicky

Hopefully on this forum we can keep the GV + Fax + obi convo in one thread prevent having to read all the threads

What are their successful settings for the obi?
GrandCentral in 2004, had Gizmo5 acct
Analog Fax working IB & OB...
efax acct revoked
faxzero.com (<=2 free/$2 for 3+pgs)
Linksys SPA-2102 ATA 2 Sipgate lines/free accts, $20 balance for OB faxes dialing
Obi110 2 GV accts No POTS/FXO
Panasonic kx-tga939t Dect Cordless -  Ans machine OFF

jrinco11

I've been able to fax from my internal 56k modem on my laptop without issue.  Plugged the laptop into the PHONE port of the obi110, added a new fax through windows (xp), and simply went through all the default setup/options for sending a fax within windows - no issues whatsoever (I am also in the UK, and used GV to send a fax to the US)

looking for anything more specific?

jkmhb

I was able to fax outbound OK - OBI110+GV+broadband - using normal settings recommended in OBI guide for GV.
HP C7280 all in one printer with fax.

paulpresident

Hello guys.

I am so very confused I am trying to help my mother install her HP printer with fax via Obi with Google Voice (GV). Do I hook up the HP fax to the "Line" port at the back of Obi? Right now she has the "Phone" port connected to her regular "landline" phone device which works well via Google Voice. I'm so confused :( Thank you so very much for your generous time.

jimates

Quote from: paulpresident on November 16, 2012, 03:27:23 PM
Hello guys.

I am so very confused I am trying to help my mother install her HP printer with fax via Obi with Google Voice (GV). Do I hook up the HP fax to the "Line" port at the back of Obi? Right now she has the "Phone" port connected to her regular "landline" phone device which works well via Google Voice. I'm so confused :( Thank you so very much for your generous time.
A fax machine is just a phone, so to say, connect it to the phone port of the Obi.

MurrayB

The addition of a cheap simple splitter will allow her to have both the Fax and a telephone connected to the phone port at the same time. This will avoid the need to change cables from one device to the other.

jimates

I recently started trying to use my Replay TV (modem) with Google Voice, no luck at all. I guess I will have to reactivate my Nettalk Duo for it.

paulpresident

Quote from: jimates on November 16, 2012, 04:05:06 PM
Quote from: paulpresident on November 16, 2012, 03:27:23 PM
Hello guys.

A fax machine is just a phone, so to say, connect it to the phone port of the Obi.

Thank you, sir. Do I have to change any settings under ObiTalk or in the printer? Will this both enable the fax to send and receive? Thank you! :'(

Lavarock7

Oftentimes, HP fax machines have 2 ports in the back. One may be labeled LINE and the other perhaps EXT or Phone.

Normally, the line from the wall jack would connect to the phone companyt and the phone plugs into the other port, putting the fax machine between the phone company and the phone. This allows the call to come in, the fax machine to be faxing and the machine would disable the phone so that picking up the phone would not interrupt the call. HP machines may send you a special line cord that has only 2 wires.

So with VOIP, you could duplicate the same setup by plugging the line code from the fax into the phone port of the Obi.

As mentioned in another reply, you can use a two way splitter if you want, plugging the male end into the phone port of the Obi and plugging a phone in one of the two ports and the fax machine in the other.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Phillip

I had some quality issues at first. I added a DSL filter between the OBi and the FAX and that cleared it up.
Obi100, sp1 Anveo, sp2 Alcazar Networks Toll Free Terminal provider, Cisco Gigabit modem, TP-Link router/switch