News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 Hear Nothing when answering and calling out

Started by newinvestor23, November 01, 2014, 10:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newinvestor23

Hey,
Have an Obi100 with freephonline.ca and everything was working great for a long time. I got a new ISP, Bell Fibreop about a month ago, using their modem/router. Everything was good after the switch to Bell, I even added my obi100 to DMZ, no problems. All of sudden today, if I answer, I hear nothing (I called it, and the cell phone I used keeps ringing, then will go to voice mail) And if I call out, I hear nothing at all and the other phone does not ring. I even try to get my voice mail, which it says I have, but even when I dial *98 it is just a blank phone, nothing. BTW, I am not using google voice, just freephoneline.ca.
Things I have done.  
Reset Actiontec r1000h router/modem (unplugged for 30 seconds)
Reset Obi100 (unplugged for 30 seconds)
Checked freephoneline.ca forums and I see no service outage or anything.
Checked over settings, nothing has been changed on my end on either device.
I get dial tone when picking up to call out.

Any help in fixing the problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

drgeoff

What happens when you dial the OBi echo test number?  **9 222 222 222

newinvestor23

"The number you dialed **9 222 222 222 was rejected by the service provider the reason is 404"

drgeoff

newinvestor23

It tells me my ip address and DHCP is enabled.
So I tried to factory reset obi100. Now I dial **9 222 222 222 and it says "there is no service available to complete your call"
Is this not supposed to work with factory reset?
Only the power green light is on after I do a "Reset Configuration".
But, if I "restore my configuration" to my previously saved configuration, I get both green lights on, but I still get the no service available message.
I really do not understand why it is doing this when I did not touch it or the modem/router. I have the obi in DMZ and gave it a static ip.
I just tried to attach it to my obi dashboard (but unclicked google voice, as I do not use it). The status is grey and when scrolled over, it is offline. Weird how I cannot even call the echo test.

drgeoff

Quote from: newinvestor23 on November 02, 2014, 08:00:28 AM
It tells me my ip address and DHCP is enabled.
So I tried to factory reset obi100. Now I dial **9 222 222 222 and it says "there is no service available to complete your call"
Mine is saying the same just now, even though my two SIP services are registered.  Looks like Obitalk is down at the moment.

newinvestor23

Mango

Set the following:

Service Providers >> ITSP Profile X >> General
STUNEnable: (unchecked)
STUNServer: (blank)

You should also immediately remove your OBi100 from DMZ.  The OBi100 does not contain a firewall, and running a VoIP ATA without a firewall is a serious security risk.  If you have problems after removing your OBi from DMZ, we will solve them properly.

When you're finished, test incoming and outgoing calls and be sure you have audio in both directions.  Let me know if it works.

drgeoff

Obitalk is back up.  Is **9 222 222 222 working for you?

newinvestor23

Thank you very much Mango. After loading my configuration and updating my password, I called and received calls. Audio works both ways and echo test works too. I also took my obi100 off of DMZ.
I seem to remember putting the STUN server as I had a problem with audio I believe. Did something change with the stun server? Either way, it seems to be working.

Thanks again

Mango

If you were using stun.counterpath.net, it seems to have stopped working during the past day or so.

I wasn't clear if you did remove the STUN server, or if it just started working by itself when you updated your password?

newinvestor23

I followed your steps, removed the stunserver and unchecked STUNenable.
Then when I made a call, it asked for password. (I think that the restore does not "remember" the password for security reasons I guess.)
So I fixed my password (Voice Services>SP1 Service>SIP Credentials>AuthPassword) and it now works.
Ya I was using stun.counterpath.net. If I need a stun server I will try stun.3cx.com, but only if I have audio problems with my current configuration.
I hope that is clear, if people are using that stun server and its down, there maybe more like me.
Thanks again

Mango

Thank you very much for clarifying.  I'm very glad it's working now!

If you have any more problems, let us know and we will help you troubleshoot them.  Yes indeed, I see quite a few reports of issues from people using the same STUN server as you.

djm999

Ah, lifesaver.  Beat my head against the wall for two days on this one.  Thanks for the solution.  Both of my OBi202 boxes working flawlessly again.  The only addition I would make to the problem description is that outgoing calls will go through, but after a ridiculous 45 second latency (during which there is dead air).  Incoming calls cannot be answered and go to voice mail.

Also, in case it helps anyone else out, after beating my head against the wall trying to register for this forum to post this note, it turns out the allowable password length for the forum is shorter than that for the general OBi site.  Since the passwords have to be the same, you have to shorten your general site password if you repeatedly receive invalid password errors during registration.  Apparently a well designed ploy to add to the frustration level.

Anyway, thanks again.  Stress level back to normal.

Mango

Friends don't let friends use STUN servers.   ;D