News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to you use E911 with Google Voice?

Started by kelemvor, December 08, 2014, 06:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelemvor

I know that GV doesn't support 911 calls (unless something has changed recently) so I'm just wondering the best/cheapest way to get 911 capabilities to my home phone line when using Obi + GV.

Also, I had changed to PhonePower during the whole scare about GV and Obi not working so I need to change back to that and since GV doesn't have 911 I just need to add that part back in.

Thanks!

ceg3

Of course, many of us use Anveo for E911 along with GV.  You can add it seamlessly by selecting the option within OBiTALK for 15.00 a year and that includes alerts or go directly to their site and sign up for 12.00 a year without the alerts.  However, they require a minimum amount of 20.00 in your account to set it up there, so it's pay 15.00 or tie up 20.00.

giqcass

+1 for Anveo.  If you use the portal to set up your Obi it's one of the simplest options available and it's a reasonable price.  If you are a super cheapskate(many of us are) there is pseudo 911.  More complicated to set up, free, but overall less reliable.  In some areas it's almost as good as regular 911 but in other areas it is not.  You would need to find out if there is a regular number that goes to the same emergency PSAP as 911.  Then you would modify your dial plan so 911 automatically dials that number.

I like to keep a Cell phone around as a backup for power and internet outages.  Should power or internet go out VOIP becomes useless.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Taoman

Quote from: kelemvor on December 08, 2014, 06:09:56 AM

Also, I had changed to PhonePower during the whole scare about GV and Obi not working so I need to change back to that and since GV doesn't have 911 I just need to add that part back in.

Assuming you subscribed to one of the "OBi" PhonePower plans you have already paid for a full year. Why not take advantage of it? Use Google Voice (on SP1 or SP2) for incoming and outgoing calls and use PhonePower (on an available SP trunk) solely for E911. That's all I use PhonePower for now.

Seems silly to pay Anveo (or anyone else) for E911 when you've already paid for it thru PhonePower. Why not use what you've already paid for? Not to mention the fact you'll have an additional incoming/outgoing line you can use in case Google Voice is having issues. You can always move to a new E911 provider once your PhonePower subscription runs out.

kelemvor

Quote from: Taoman on December 09, 2014, 08:14:06 AM
Quote from: kelemvor on December 08, 2014, 06:09:56 AM

Assuming you subscribed to one of the "OBi" PhonePower plans you have already paid for a full year. Why not take advantage of it? Use Google Voice (on SP1 or SP2) for incoming and outgoing calls and use PhonePower (on an available SP trunk) solely for E911. That's all I use PhonePower for now.

Seems silly to pay Anveo (or anyone else) for E911 when you've already paid for it thru PhonePower. Why not use what you've already paid for? Not to mention the fact you'll have an additional incoming/outgoing line you can use in case Google Voice is having issues. You can always move to a new E911 provider once your PhonePower subscription runs out.

Sounds like a great idea for the time being until it runs out.  So do I just load up the GV stuff and forward the calls to that and then set the Phonepower one to use the 911?

Haven't been in the Obitalk portal area for a while so will have to go figure that out.

Taoman

Quote from: kelemvor on December 09, 2014, 10:48:17 AM

Sounds like a great idea for the time being until it runs out.  So do I just load up the GV stuff and forward the calls to that and then set the Phonepower one to use the 911?

That's it in a nutshell. Obihai uses a newer protocol to authenticate to Google so when you configure your OBi for Google Voice it will probably automagically update your firmware. It's best to be already logged into your Google Voice account (in a different tab) before going thru the Google Voice configuration process on your OBi.

kelemvor

I actually found that part out yesterday.  Do I still need to forward my Google Voice to my Hangouts or however that works or does the new authentication thing make that not needed any more?

Taoman

Quote from: kelemvor on December 09, 2014, 11:06:54 AM
I actually found that part out yesterday.  Do I still need to forward my Google Voice to my Hangouts or however that works or does the new authentication thing make that not needed any more?

Assuming you won't be forwarding to any other number you will need to forward to Google Chat in order for your OBi connected phone to ring.