News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

basic question on finding my ip address and how to set qos

Started by markintheforum, December 13, 2014, 07:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markintheforum

I have an obi202.  I've used it for several weeks ok, but I have noticed horrible phone call quality when my kids are on the internet -- phone is unusably choppy.  Not streaming videos, just playing minecraft game and playstation...

Googled around a bit and saw that I may need to set quality of service higher? My router, asus rt-n56u, has a QOS setting, but says it needs ip address OR Mac address. I went to obitalk web page for my device and found MAC address, but when i plug it into router it says it is an invalid IP address (even though title says MAC is OK).  Plus I think I need a port number? ... but I cannot find anywhere what is the IP address for my obihai, or what if any port number to use.

The FAQ talks about turning on LAN-side access to the box's admin page (whatever benefit that might be) but since I don't have the IP address anyway I don't think that will help.

Bottom line I am desperate to be able to use this when people in my house are using the internet at same time...

Two other related questions. 

(1) How can I find out if/how to connect my obi upstream from my router, directly into my modem?  (Then plug my router into the obi I guess?) Would that be an alternative to improve performance? My old cable-based phone service plugs directly into the modem (it has a phone jack) and I never have a problem with internet interfering.  I have at least several MB/second bandwidth.

I tried plugging it in once to my router's internet port but did not seem to be able to make any calls.  So not sure what to do.

(2) I've read that the obi202 is itself a router? Not sure what that means or what point is of it, but would be curious to know, since I have it connected downstream from my router.

azrobert

Dial ***1

You should also see the IP address in your router under LAN status.

I don't own an OBi202, so I can't answer your other questions.

BigJim_McD

Quote from: markintheforum on December 13, 2014, 07:14:04 AM
I have an obi202. ........

(2) I've read that the obi202 is itself a router? Not sure what that means or what point is of it, but would be curious to know, since I have it connected downstream from my router.

markintheforum,

To me, the OBi202 "Router Mode" is a slow speed Router feature that I have no use for since I have an Advance high speed R7000 AC1900 WiFi router. 

The only possible way that I would consider using the LAN port on the OBi202 is to configure "Bridge Mode" to connect one of my other OBi devices saving a port on my R7000.  I don't find that a very useful option since I have a couple of 8-Port Switches connected to the R7000.

You might find the following interesting.

"The OBi202 is equipped with a 2-port router with integrated quality of service (QoS). The OBi202 may be installed in a variety of network environments and/or locations where upstream voice traffic needs to be prioritized above other types of traffic like web surfing and uploading pictures and movies."

Configuring OBi202 For Bridge Mode

http://blog.voipdiy.com/2013/07/configuring-obi202-for-bridge-mode.htm

By default, the OBi202 VoIP ATA is configured to function as a NAT-Router and DHCP server.  This allows the OBi202  to act as a basic Internet gateway device for your local home or small office network when connected directly to your ISP's Internet MODEM (no other NAT-Routers needed between OBi202 and the Modem).

However, there may be times when you don't need or want to use the OBi202 in NAT DHCP server mode. For example, if you will be using the OBi202 behind an existing NAT-Router, you will likely be better off disabling the NAT and Firewall functionality within the OBi202 ATA.  In which case, you will change its LAN Operation Mode setting from Router to Bridge.
BigJimMcD

markintheforum

I appreciate the replies.  I have found the IP address now... we'll see if it works as the voice quaility issue was not reproducable today even with streaming videos.  But I appreciate that I missed the whole *** menu thing.  I'll also read more on the router thing.  Thanks again.