News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Chaging cable modems...?

Started by Angelc19, December 14, 2014, 05:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelc19

I am going to change from a rented cable modem to one that I will purchase.
I have an Obi202 hooked up to my wireless router that is hooked up the modem.
Can I just, remove the old modem, and install the new modem with out any changes to my wireless router or Obi202?

ceg3

You will, of course, have to contact your provider to register the new equipment, which will mean your VOIP phone won't work if you swap the modems before you call them.  Call first and give them the information they need before making the swap.  You could of course call with a mobile phone if necessary.

MurrayB

With some cable systems you have to be on the phone with tech support while they recognize and register the modem.

zorlac

Quote from: MurrayB on December 14, 2014, 07:11:48 AM
With some cable systems you have to be on the phone with tech support while they recognize and register the modem.
+1

BigJim_McD

Quote from: Angelc19 on December 14, 2014, 05:41:34 AM
I am going to change from a rented cable modem to one that I will purchase.
I have an Obi202 hooked up to my wireless router that is hooked up the modem.
Can I just, remove the old modem, and install the new modem with out any changes to my wireless router or Obi202?

Angelc19,

As ceg3 replied, you will loose VoIP phone service for a while when you swap from a rented modem to your customer furnished modem.  You will want to have your mobile phone with a fully charged battery with you unless you have a POTs line available.

I recently replaced a rented Xfinity Gateway, WiFi Modem/Router with a ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.  I put everything in place, ready to connect then called Comcast/Xfinity Technical support before connecting the Modem.

After Comcast did their changes and the Modem rebooted, the internet service was very unstable at first.  As the Modem continued to sync with the cable service, the  Internet Service slowly became stable over a period of ~ 3 hours.

After the modems where swapped and the new modem rebooted, I connected my Laptop directly to the Modems LAN port to check connectivity.  After verifying Internet access on my Laptop, I connected my WiFi Router to the modem, then powered the router back up.  I did not have to make any changes on the Router.

On the ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, I'm able to access the Modem Status at:  http://192.168.100.1/  from my Laptop connected to my Router that is using the 10.1.1.1 Network.  After connecting to the Modem Status page, there are several TABs accessible including Logs.  Logs can also be accessed directly at:  http://192.168.100.1/cmLogs.htm
BigJimMcD

MurrayB

I made the exact same swap as BigJim_McD in February 2014 went like glass and has been stable. I recommend that modem.

Angelc19

Thanks for the help!
I going to purchase auBee DVW3201B Docsis 3.0 Telephony cable modem to replace my rented modem.
Any opinions on this modem? 

Rick

Why?

I ask why because that modem seems to be overkill.  Why do you need a modem with telephony capability when you have an OBi?

Also, is the modem approved by your cable company?

Angelc19

Cost is the reason for choosing this modem ($16.00 refurbished), I will only use it as a bridge, no telephony or wifi.  It is approved by the cable company.