News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi100 receives calls but won't ring phone

Started by sparkie001, December 14, 2014, 08:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkie001

Using an obi100 with Google voice as SP1, with a conventional phone plugged in to the obi.
Google voice set to forward to Google Chat.
I can make calls fine from the phone.  When I receive calls my phone doesn't ring.  I see the phone icon flashing on the obi100 so I pick up the phone and the incoming call is there. 

Any ideas?  Thanks Steve

SteveInWA

Hi:

Well... if you see the flashing light, and you pick up the phone, and you can answer the call, then there is nothing wrong with your Google Voice service.  It would either be a defective telephone, defective telephone cord, or defective OBi box not generating the ring voltage.  I assume it isn't some forehead-slapping thing like having the phone's ringer turned off...  right?

Start by unplugging your telephone cord from the obi and then trying a different telephone with a different modular phone cord.  If you can, plug those telephones into some other telephone service and test that inbound calls ring.

sparkie001

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 14, 2014, 08:56:23 PM
Hi:

Well... if you see the flashing light, and you pick up the phone, and you can answer the call, then there is nothing wrong with your Google Voice service.  It would either be a defective telephone, defective telephone cord, or defective OBi box not generating the ring voltage.  I assume it isn't some forehead-slapping thing like having the phone's ringer turned off...  right?

Start by unplugging your telephone cord from the obi and then trying a different telephone with a different modular phone cord.  If you can, plug those telephones into some other telephone service and test that inbound calls ring.

HA I came back online to add that very point... I tried two phones and two cords.  One tried and true phone that you can't turn the ringer off, and one new phone.  Neither one rings. :(

SteveInWA

Ha ha, indeed.  I had to ask, ya know, given your user name "sparkie".   :P

That points the finger at the OBi box.  It it brand new, or did you get it second-hand?  Has it ever worked?  Have you made any configuration changes beyond the factory defaults?  If you did, then you might want to try removing it from the OBiTALK portal, performing a factory reset, and setting it up again.

Other than that, there are some settings to increase the ring voltage and change the AC ring waveform from sinusoidal to trapezoidal.  A few phones respond to one waveform but not the other.

On the OBiTALK portal, get into Expert mode, and go to Physical Interfaces --> Phone

I don't have a OBi 1xx box connected at the moment, but on a 202, it looks like my attached screenshot.  Uncheck both of the check boxes to change the settings.

If that doesn't help, then it's time to open a ticket with Obihai to get it (and its power adapter) replaced.

sparkie001

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 14, 2014, 09:36:45 PM
Ha ha, indeed.  I had to ask, ya know, given your user name "sparkie".   :P

That points the finger at the OBi box.  It it brand new, or did you get it second-hand?  Has it ever worked?  Have you made any configuration changes beyond the factory defaults?  If you did, then you might want to try removing it from the OBiTALK portal, performing a factory reset, and setting it up again.

Other than that, there are some settings to increase the ring voltage and change the AC ring waveform from sinusoidal to trapezoidal.  A few phones respond to one waveform but not the other.

On the OBiTALK portal, get into Expert mode, and go to Physical Interfaces --> Phone

I don't have a OBi 1xx box connected at the moment, but on a 202, it looks like my attached screenshot.  Uncheck both of the check boxes to change the settings.

If that doesn't help, then it's time to open a ticket with Obihai to get it (and its power adapter) replaced.

Great minds think alike. :)  I went nosing around the expert setup and noticed the 70V default ring voltage.  I recalled it being higher in my experience and confirmed it with Google.  So I changed it to 90 and now both phones work!  I sincerely thank you for the time you took to help out! Steve (formerly from WA :) )  And yes it is a new unit that never worked, and is (was) using default settings.

SteveInWA

That's great!  Thanks for confirming the fix.