News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Need Number porting advice

Started by nowhere_IN, December 26, 2014, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nowhere_IN

Hi all, I've been using an obi200 for about a year now with google voice without any issues. I had talked to some close family and told them about the service and realized it would save them quite a bit if they switched from their normal landline. I picked up a new obi and was going to go the route of porting their landline number over  to Ring.to when it gave me a message stating the number couldn't be ported. Now I am trying to figure out what my possible choices are.

I also used the google voice number checker and it basically gave the error message stating that the whole tmobile work around won't work for us. The phone number is 812-448-3XXX.

I went ahead and setup a google voice number for the obi so it can make an receive calls.  Now I'm looking for a free/cheap service what I can port their old landline number to that can get incoming calls.

Anyone have any suggestions?

zorlac

Quote from: nowhere_IN on December 26, 2014, 11:10:48 AM
Now I'm looking for a free/cheap service what I can port their old landline number to that can get incoming calls.
RingTo
Be sure to use this page to sign up.
It'll cost you $12/yr for 911 service through Anveo in order to be able to use RT.

nowhere_IN

Quote from: zorlac on December 26, 2014, 06:13:08 PM
Quote from: nowhere_IN on December 26, 2014, 11:10:48 AM
Now I'm looking for a free/cheap service what I can port their old landline number to that can get incoming calls.
RingTo
Be sure to use this page to sign up.
It'll cost you $12/yr for 911 service through Anveo in order to be able to use RT.

Sorry, got ahead of myself in the first paragraph. I tried ring.to and that's where I got the message stating they were unable to port the number

zorlac

People have ported their #'s to wireless (Sprint?) carriers & then over to GV but that seems like an inordinate amount of difficulty to me.

Taoman

Quote from: nowhere_IN on December 26, 2014, 09:00:15 PM

Sorry, got ahead of myself in the first paragraph. I tried ring.to and that's where I got the message stating they were unable to port the number

This means that number is located in a rate center that Bandwidth.com (the CLEC for both GV & Ring.To) doesn't have a presence in. Consequently, there is zero chance you can port that number to either of them. I am in the same boat.

You may wish to look at one of the Obihai preferred providers. With PhonePower you can get unlimited incoming, 300 minutes outgoing per month, plus E911 for $35/year. If their usage pattern falls within those parameters and they want/need E911 it's hard to beat that price. They also have extensive support options and porting the number shouldn't be a problem.

Ansextra

If they need more minutes than that I use Voipo for $185 for the first 2 years unlimited North America incoming, outgoing, 1 hour int'l, outgoing fax and 911, lots of other features... Good support as well.  they just had an end of year special so I was able to renew for another 2 years at the intro price.