News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

First impressions: User-friendly GUI (e.g., digit map wizard)?

Started by nsne, December 26, 2014, 11:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsne

Got my OBi200 yesterday. Very nice little device; I wish it had been around years ago when I paid a premium for a router with integrated VoIP functionality.

The one phone call I got yesterday (wrong number) had much better quality than I'm used to, though CID read, oddly, "Out of Area" (huh?).

I've got one major reservation about the OBi200, which is its complicated interface. I realize there are many, many users who appreciate the extensive configurability and the opportunity to fine-tune everything in minute detail. And I do like having access to so many "expert" settings should the need arise.

However, I also long for a bit of simplicity when setting up, especially when it comes to digit mapping.

It would be awfully nice to have a wizard that generates a digit map based on user criteria — for example, a screen with variables: "When I dial _area_code_X_, use service _Y_ and autodial the prefix _*Z_" or "When a call from _phone_number_X_ comes in, route it to service _Y_". The current digit mapping configurations — a muddle of digits, symbols and letters — can be daunting, even for those of us who are already familiar with SIP Sorcery's dial plans.

Are there any plans to implement something like that?

While I'm on the subject, the general options as they exist now are kind of cryptic. I can intuit what, say, "CallForwardUnconditionalEnable" means, and the rollovers on the "?" icon make a little more sense of things (when they don't just repeat the option in sentence form); but again, it would be awfully nice to have something less jargon-y. I mean, what's the difference between MWIEnable, VMWIEnable and MessageWaiting? What do they do? Why is the asterisk (*) next to them on the cloud interface? Will it break Google Voice if I enable one or more of them?

A couple more things:

- Why does the device need to reboot every time a minor change is made (like registration times)?
- Why is there a red exclamation mark next to some custom settings? It makes me feel like I've done something wrong, even if the "default" doesn't work.

Would appreciate any user or Obihai input on the above. Thanks!

N7AS

While it dosen't do exactly as you are asking for, there is an OBi configuration tool available Here that may help.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

nsne

That tool looks great. I'm in an all-Mac environment, but that's worth breaking out the virtual PC.

Now, given that the hard work has been done for them, why can't Obihai implement something like that in their device UI? It would alleviate some of the despair that their current interface warrants.

Ostracus

Which current interface would that be? The web based one? Or the one built into the unit?

nsne

Quote from: Ostracus on December 28, 2014, 09:36:40 PM
Which current interface would that be? The web based one? Or the one built into the unit?

Well, that question highlights one of the issues. The fact that there are two interfaces (the OBiTalk cloud — namely, the "expert" mode — and the local device UI) that both seem to do the same thing — except sometimes when they don't — is one of the weirdest things about my initial experience with the OBi.

In a perfect world, my preference would be to see a more user-friendly UI on the local device, but then it would apparently have to reboot every time I ticked or unticked a check box (another one of the bizarre OBi idiosyncrasies). So, given the need for constant reboots on the local device, I suppose I'd ask it to be implemented in the cloud.

I posted a help request on another forum; I think the screenshots — which will be familiar to any OBi owner — illustrate everything that makes me despair when I see either of the OBi UIs.

giqcass

I think Obi has done a pretty good job when it comes to walking the line between versatility and ease of use. I like having the option of two different interfaces.  It's even possible to create a custom interface if someone wanted to take the time to do it. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

ProfTech

Be sure and take a look at the guide put up by MarkObihai. It should give you a lot of helpful insight.

nsne

Quote from: ProfTech on December 29, 2014, 07:51:34 PM
Be sure and take a look at the guide put up by MarkObihai. It should give you a lot of helpful insight.

Do you happen to have a link to that? Is it here in the forums?

giqcass

Quote from: nsne on December 29, 2014, 08:44:11 PM
Quote from: ProfTech on December 29, 2014, 07:51:34 PM

Do you happen to have a link to that? Is it here in the forums?
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9104.0
Long live our new ObiLords!