News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Please help in setting up Obi200 with GV

Started by kennyg26, January 01, 2015, 06:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyg26

I followed everything in the instruction. but when I make a call to my GV #, it'll ring the "forwarded #" instead of the analog phone. Also, when I use the analog phone that connected to Obi device, it won't go through at all..I don't know what I did wrong...please help!

K

HelloG

Did you set up a new GV account just for the Obi?  If so, you might have missed one step, which is to make one call using GV directly, and then configure with ObiTALK.

Another thing to check is to enable the Google Chat setting in GV settings.

Going by memory this should be enough to get things working correctly.

kennyg26

Thanks...I did all that but still didn't work.  When I dialed a phone, it gave me a "hangup" or busy beep. I still didn't get what's wrong. I set up once and it worked but now it's just not working

thanks for helping

HelloG

So it sounds like you've now got Google Voice working without Obi in the picture at all, and you've also configured Google Voice to forward your calls to Google Chat as required.  Yet you are not able to make and receive calls via the Obi. So at this point few more things to check:

1. Without considering GV at all, have you dialed the Obi echo test number from your Obi and verified that the device is working?
2. If the Obi is working, does the ObiTalk dashboard show that GV is configured on the selected line (say SP1?)
3. How are you dialing a number?  If GV is not set up as your primary dial-out line, you will need to use the prefix **1 (for SP1).  If it is set up as your primary line to dial-out then you don't need the prefix.
4. Are you able to receive incoming calls to your GV number on your Obi?

You also gave some new information that your set up worked once, but it doesn't work now.  So let me ask you, have you updated your firmware and authorized and authenticated yourself with GV recently?

krate

Interestingly, I am also seeing same problem with Obi200 and GV. I have a GV phone number say X and have "forwardto" set to number Y. X is not ringing and it goes to Y. 

Answering few questions ...

1) I have been using GV on my cellphone for some time and it works fine.
2) I am able to make test echo call from OBi.
3) When I added my GV account in OBi setup it showed configuring but it didnt showed anything under final status.  It didnt show anything like Connected. Is this a problem ?
4) Also, I see some comment that forwardto should have google chat as well, I dont see that setting in my GV account. Is this a problem ?

SteveInWA

Right...  The first thing to do would be to read all through the linked procedure I posted, and start over, following every step.  If some step fails or doesn't seem to work as it should, then stop, and describe what happened.

If you don't see "connected" status for the SP that is configured for GV, then something failed, so you need to start over and find the point of failure.

kennyg26

It's showed "connected" under my dashboard. Previously I used my GV # for testing and it worked perfectly fine.  I reset the device, deleted the registered device from dashboard and started over again with my wife GV#, and it's just rang her cell # (forwarded #), instead of the phone that plugged into Obi. Also, when I tried to make a call from the plugged device, it didn't work..just gave me that "busy or hangup" sound.

I'll delete it, and will reset it again to see if it'll fix the problem

SteveInWA

What you're describing suggests that you do not have Google Chat added as a forwarding destination on the Google Voice account you are using with your OBi.

kennyg26

Ok..so now I can make a call using my Obi but I when trying to call my GV#, it still won't ring my Obi but i will ring my "forwarded#" ..hmm..any solution that you can think of to fix that?

kennyg26

Everything works fine now..I guess my issues were " i had it in hangout instead of google chat, also I did not check the google chat option when I have it changed from hangout to google talk...

I guess my "over-confidence" messed me up on the 2nd setup using the google voice from my wife which she never used "google chat and use it call anything

Thank you very much for helping out

Kenny

SteveInWA

The issue was that you didn't have the Google Chat forwarding destination added.  This is required not just for inbound calls, but for outbound calls, too.  You don't need it check-marked if you don't want to receive calls, but it does need to be present in your settings page.

After adding the Chat forwarding destination, you can go back to using Hangouts on your PC or elsewhere; it's independent of Chat.