News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Tried setting up Google Voice. What's my phone number???

Started by Despotes, January 02, 2015, 01:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despotes

I'm having a frustrating time getting this to work. Obi 200 w/Google voice. I followed the tutorials to a T.
I tried using the 9 digit "Obi No." thinking that was my number, but I get the message, ..."cannot complete your call, please check your number and dial again"
Also, in my Dashboard there are 2 Speed dial settings. One is for a "soft phone" whatever that is and the other is my OBi200. Both have a Number/Address box. I tried calling both numbers, but again the same message.
?????????

Despotes

I finally figured it out. Google voice wasn't completely set up. You'd never know it if you simply follow the Obi tutorial. Got my phone number. It works.
Final question: Can I get rid of my mobile "Forwarding" number(I provided Google) after setting this up? The reason I got the Obi 200 was to save money by eventually getting rid of my mobile phone and picking up a tracfone.
If I can't, is there another provider that doesn't require a permanent "forwarding" number after set up is completed? VOIP.ms?
Can I change my forwarding phone number if I cancel my cell and get a tracfone?

hughcrain

Get the tracphone and add it as a forwarding phone. Then you can get rid of the cell. I was using a straight talk phone for forwarding. Since most of my calls were with the OBi, I was only using the cell for about 15 minutes a month. The last month before I got the tracphone, my straight talk phone was not in service and it didn't affect google voice calls to the OBi. 

HelloG

Quote from: Despotes on January 02, 2015, 02:25:14 PM
I finally figured it out. Google voice wasn't completely set up. You'd never know it if you simply follow the Obi tutorial. Got my phone number. It works.

Since you figured it out, could you post what the missing steps were so that others could benefit?  Thanks.

HelloG

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 02, 2015, 08:29:49 PM
This is all documented, in detail, here:...

@SteveInWA

What I was trying to find out was what the problem was with the Obi tutorial, and what the OP did to resolve it, not necessarily looking for a complete set of steps to make it work.  However, now that you have posted your link in this thread, anyone who lands here looking for a solution will find your post in order to be able to make it work, so thanks.

Despotes

It was the basic Obi tutorial that I found incomplete. I had to fish around and find a more in depth set of instructions on thoroughly setting up Google Voice.
Steve's on it.
Still not sure what "Soft phone" is.

SteveInWA

The "soft phone" is incredibly poorly documented.

It is a OBi number assigned for your use (if you wish) with OBi's "Obion" VoIP client software.  It can't be deleted off of the dashboard, so you can just ignore it.  They had Obion apps for iPhone, Android and PC.  They work poorly, if at all, and are in need of maintenance.  Their main benefit was to call into your OBi over VoIP from your smartphone, and access Your OBi's "auto-attendant", which would then allow you to bridge out to a new call, or call some other OBi. 

If you are just interested in using your OBi with Google Voice, the Obion apps aren't necessary, since you can also make and receive calls using your Google Voice phone number, by installing the Google Hangouts apps for iOS or Android, or using the Hangouts web app with the Google Chrome Browser.