News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI1032 3.5 mm headset jack

Started by Dan-Voip, January 06, 2015, 02:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Voip

Looking to buy a headset for my phone.  Does anyone know if the 3.5 mm headset jack in the OBI1032 is a 4 or 3 connector?

Dan-Voip

Using a 3 conductor 2.5mm (female) to 3.5mm (male) adapter I tried the headset from my cordless phone.

The result is that the called party can be heard, but the mic doesn't work.

4-pin it is!

drgeoff

Have you confirmed that a 4 pole one does work?  Or have you assumed that your 3 pole failure means it must be a 4 pole?

SteveInWA

The issue is probably the adapter.  There is no standard for how they're wired, and some are wired as mono, others as stereo.   Note the other hassle with plugs and jacks is that some are wired as headset/mic combos, and others are wired as stereo headphones.  You (obviously) need to use one that is wired as a headphone/mic combo.

If you had a headset with a 3.5mm plug, it wouldn't matter if it was 3-conductor or 4-conductor, since the R and L channels would just be electrically combined with a 3-conductor female jack.  Look at the position of the rings on the connectors and you'll see what I mean.

Dan-Voip

drgeoff: No I have not tried a 4 wire connector.

SteveInWA: There is a standard for 2.5mm that the typical home cordless phone uses.  The adapter simply converted the size of the jack.  With a multi meter I confirmed that each of the 2.5mm's (female) 3 conductors are wired straight to the same location on the 3.5mm (male) connector.

In my option information on the wiring (or models that work) should be in the manual or at least posted online.  It feels as if Obi expects the customer to invest money into 3.5mm or RJ9 headsets until they find one that works. 

Overall this is just bad customer service. 

Dan-Voip

To close this thread, a iPhone headset / connector is what's needed for the 1032.

Have a good day!