News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Syslog facility setting

Started by krpan, May 24, 2011, 12:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krpan

It would be nice to be able to set the syslog facility OBI's use to when sending messages to syslog server.

From what I've seen so far the message sent use at least 3 different facilities (kern, local1, local2).
To top it off 'emerg' (LOG_EMERG) priority is used liberally (user initiate reboot generates 10 'emerg' messages, majority of them under 'kern' (LOG_KERN) facility). This is a problem when using stock syslogd on various Linux/Unix platforms (OS) since there is no way to capture the messages from OBI's separately from other messages (in particular, use of 'kern' facility causes significant problems when trying to mange syslog message flow). There are of course exceptions on platforms like OS X (not documented), FreeBSD and others

Bottom line, I think the ability for user to specify use of a single syslog facility would be a great benefit (be it user selected or preselected by OBI among 'local0' through 'local7').

Yes, I know I could switch to using syslog-ng daemon which adds the ability to filter/direct the message based on the remote source. But while I'm prepared to do that, some people may be uncomfortable with switching the stock syslog daemon for syslog-ng.

realpdm

I'll add a 'me too' for this feature. syslog is great, but the way it is implemented is quite poor. I shouldn't have to do all this machinations just to capture these messages to a file. Please allow a setting to specify a local# for the syslog facility. So we can simply say ok 'local5' is obi.log. Right now when I reboot the Obi every terminal on my system spews a wall message about it because it is an emergency.

Usually_Befuddled

CaptainSteubing

+1 from me too! I had to turn off Syslog to my normal Syslog machine, got too noisy and couldn't tell what was coming from where.