News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Getting rid of orange livebox

Started by mandm, October 30, 2014, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandm

My mum has had an orange livebox sagem for years. It costs her 37 euro for to use the internet and tv.
She used to get build in sip from orange with special connector, not a standard, and could call to all landlines free and to mobiles for 25 cent per minute, hiking up the price per month to 80 euro on average. The connection is a long sort of flat pin thing.
she also always had her old landline. It costs 20 euro per month and she does not use it to call anyone.
Without warning orange has changed the plan.
Now the free calls do not go through the lifebox anymore. They go through the landline. And for that she has to pay extra. It now costs 32 euro for internet and tv with orange. Then she has to pay 18 euro extra just to get free calls to landlines from her landline.
On her tv she also uses a strange box of some sort. I can not identify it but she can get loads of channels woth that. She watches tv almost the whole day. http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2F3aigxg.blu.livefilestore.com%2Fy1pV8HZOzsEUuPs2Op8p6jMh-mrr9R7JmmDlsDnoGNSTpENeP94Pu4vugD5Q9Hcwo4a0TVe9YxqgzH6KjfepQm1p4vUahhnKpcO%2Fgenerica%2525202%252520azul.jpg%253Fpsid%253D1&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.es%2Fitm%2FMODEM-de-ORANGE-LIVEBOX-2-SP-SAGEM-router-live-box-moden-sagen-adsl-livebox2-dsl-%2F261077364273&h=268&w=719&tbnid=d3ZzV5QGloAHpM%3A&zoom=1&docid=NCDEYKhEsuLr5M&ei=DUNTVNKvI4naaqS0gYgN&tbm=isch&client=firefox-a&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=2742&page=1&start=0&ndsp=25&ved=0CEkQrQMwDQ

I have opened a standard voip account that allows calls for 4 cent connection fee plus 0.2 cent to mobile or landline. However she does not want to call with her laptop. With the landline she can call the voip connection number (landline charges) and then at the prompt call anyone on a mobile.

Can I get some obi devices to make all this cheaper and cut out some of oranges choking 'offers'?
What devices and are there any monthly payments with that and how much?

drgeoff

If the VoIP provide you have an account with is using SIP and will provide you with the registration details, then any of the OBi devices can be used.  I assume you are in France and I don't know what models are easily obtainable there or at what prices.  I put 'Obihai' into amazon.fr and the only ATA that came up was the OBi200 at 93 Euros. Sheesh! It's £39 on Amazon UK.  Cheapest is the OBi100 which is £29 from Amazon UK.

OBi models in some territories come with a PSU which matches the local mains socket type but AFAIK they all come with a 100-240 PSU.  There doesn't seem to be any localisation of the main unit's hardware or firmware.  US style phone sockets and US defaults for all the settings.  Very configurable and I don't think you will have any real problems setting one up for use in France (or anywhere else in Western Europe).

mandm

Thank you very much for all that work looking it up for me. I am helped a lot.
So I buy this obi200 model better from the UK. Unfortunately I think their sip is only for orange users and will not be given to me to use otherwise. Is there anything else I need to buy?

drgeoff

Quote from: mandm on October 31, 2014, 11:38:34 AM
Thank you very much for all that work looking it up for me. I am helped a lot.
So I buy this obi200 model better from the UK. Unfortunately I think their sip is only for orange users and will not be given to me to use otherwise. Is there anything else I need to buy?
Your requirement can also be met by the cheaper OBi100.

How do you configure the laptop app?  Do you have to configure it manually after download and installation or is it a uniquely preconfigured download that is ready to use immediately after installation?

You may also need an adaptor or new cable to connect the phone to the OBi's USA style phone socket.

mandm

Configure the Laptop app?
So far my mum has a phone aeg cosi110 connected to the orange box 'sip' wire, the orange sagem box that is rented (at 3 euro per month) so they configure it for my mum in the shop, a laptop.
I want to buy the OBI200 or obi100.
What else do I need?

drgeoff

Quote from: mandm on November 01, 2014, 09:06:09 AM
Configure the Laptop app?
So far my mum has a phone aeg cosi110 connected to the orange box 'sip' wire, the orange sagem box that is rented (at 3 euro per month) so they configure it for my mum in the shop, a laptop.
I want to buy the OBI200 or obi100.
What else do I need?
I've already told you:

1.  The phone needs to plug into the PHONE jack of the OBi.  If the 'sip' jack on the LiveBox is also the USA type then no problem. Just transfer the phone cable from one to the other.

2.  You need the SIP details to configure the OBi.  At a minimum these details are the SIP server URL, the SIP username and the SIP password.

And obviously you also need:

3.  An internet connection.

mandm

I got the obi 110 now and nothing else from obi technology.
Is this enough or do I need the blue thing that blinks as well?
There are 3 cables with the obi.
I have a sip phone that was connected to the orange box before.
I have a laptop and connection cables.
Is there any movie that shows how to connect for just only phone to voipcheap directly? 

drgeoff

If you have a SIP phone (a proper configurable one) you didn't really need the OBi110.

ISTR a Quick Setup Sheet with the 110 but if you've already lost that:

1.  Analogue phone connected to PHONE port of 110.

2.  Ethernet cable between 110 and a LAN port on the router.

3.  Power supply plugged in to 110 and AC mains.

Register the 110 at obitalk.com.  "Add device".

Set up SP.  Click the "Next" at the bottom right of "Obitalk compatible service providers" area, accept the "I understand .." and on the next page click on Generic and input your Voipcheap details.  Click submit.