News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 not connecting calls properly, in- or out-bound

Started by sadbuttrue, February 05, 2015, 09:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sadbuttrue

I have an Obi110 on SIPgate UK, through a 50MB/s Virginmedia fibre broadband, but I am a bit of a numpty when it comes to understanding this VOIP stuff.

The problem I am having is with both making and receiving calls.

When I make a call, it will dial out, after a short delay, ring once and then go dead.

When I receive a call, it will ring and then when I pick up the phone, the line will go dead, but the person at the other end will still be able to hear me.

I have tried with and without the provided STUN server in the preferences.

Any ideas gratefull received.

ianobi

QuoteWhen I make a call, it will dial out, after a short delay, ring once and then go dead.

This sounds like your OBi110 is trying to use the Line Port as its Primary Line, which is default for an OBi110. When you set up your Sipgate account on the "Generic Service Provider" page, did you check the box next to "Primary Line for Outgoing Calls". If not, then you can go back into that page by clicking the gear cog next to the account and checking the box, then press submit and wait for your OBi110 to reboot. If you do not want Sipgate to be your Primary Line and if you set it up on sp1, then prepend any call with **1 to send the call via sp1. So **1 followed by the number.

QuoteWhen I receive a call, it will ring and then when I pick up the phone, the line will go dead, but the person at the other end will still be able to hear me.

This sounds like a port forwarding problem. Temporarily put your OBi into your router's DMZ and make some test calls. If it works, check out the OBi FAQ page on port forwarding.

If you have not made any other changes you will find dialling out has long delays before you receive ringing tone, this is due to the digit maps being set up for North American formats by default. Search in the forum here for info on that, or I will be back tomorrow morning if you need more help.

Do you intend to use your PSTN (British Telecom / Virgin Cable) line with your OBi110? If so it would be a good idea to download the UK config file before making any further changes. Search for post by WelshPaul for that file.

Typed all this in a bit of a hurry as I'm on my way out for the evening - back tomorrow and happy to help some more. I also use sipgate.co.uk as do others here.

sadbuttrue

Thanks, @ianobi. I didn't appreciate I had to set up my device on sipgate, local settings AND Obitalk - I can now dial out satisfactorily!

I put the Obi in the DMZ, which works, but I am struggling to find a post on the required settings for port forwarding.

Cheers. Simon

sadbuttrue

Quote from: ianobi on February 05, 2015, 10:57:21 AMDo you intend to use your PSTN (British Telecom / Virgin Cable) line with your OBi110? If so it would be a good idea to download the UK config file before making any further changes. Search for post by WelshPaul for that file.

Apologies, I'm not sure what you mean. I need 2 different numbers, for personal and business, but don't want to pay for 2 physical lines. I have downladed WelshPaul's .xml file and used it to configure the Obi110, which has changed one or 2 things, as you suggest! ;)

ianobi

I'm assuming that you have one physical line (PSTN = Public Switched Telephone Network, e.g. British Telecom or Virgin) and you have added one VOIP line (Voice Over Internet Protocol, e.g. Sipgate.co.uk) to give you a second line.

The OBi110 is a terminating and bridging device that can accept the above two plus the OBiTALK network and other providers. Now you have to decide how you wish to use your OBi110. The "Primary Line" is that line which numbers do not require any ** code to select. If your Primary Line is PSTN and you dial 0800500005, then that number will go to your physical line. To route it via your VOIP line you would have to dial **10800500005. You can choose which service is to be your Primary Line. If you choose sipgate, then calls with no ** code will route via that route and you have to dial **8 to send calls vial your physical line.

The FAQ section can be found down the left side of the screen from your Dashboard. The recommended port forwarding is:

TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223
UDP Ports: 5060, 5061, 10000 to 11000, 16600 to 16998, 19305

The ports 16600 to 16998 are the ones concerned with speech, so I'm guessing that's what gave you your one way transmission problem. Putting the OBi110 in your router's DMZ simply port forwards all the ports to the local IP address where the OBi110 is located. It's a useful test, but not recommended to leave it there. Personally, I have found that sipgate.co.uk works better without STUN.

sadbuttrue

Again, brilliant, thanks for your help, @ianobi.

I may be being particularly dense, but I don't understand why you would want to do as you describe - what I want is 2 separate lines, with 2 separate phones, so I can turn my office phone off and not be bothered by it when I'm not working.

Many thanks again. Simon

ianobi

Don't worry, I have a reputation for not understanding the question   :)

So - you have a physical line in your office which you can turn off when putting your feet up. The home sipgate line on the OBi110 is entirely separate?

A lot of people with home/office situations like to be able to answer both lines from one phone ( or set of phones via the building wiring). The OBi can provide distinctive ringing so that you know if it's a business or personal call. Also, when you have your feet up watching the cricket, you may wish to make a business call outgoing so your business number shows up on the called persons phone, so the OBi allows you to dial out on any connected service.

Another issue is that of cost. I use sipgate.co.uk for land line calls as they are low cost. However sipgate are expensive for mobile phone calls, so I use Voipcheap.co.uk for mobile calls. With changes to digit maps calls beginning "07" are automatically routed to Voipcheap, so the user does not have to think about ** codes.

As always, it's all about personal choices!

sadbuttrue

Ah, it's the other way here: physical for home use, VOIP for work!

I didn't realise that you could do that, sounds very confusing! I'm a vicar so I don't really want my children picking up the phone, thinking it could be a grandparent, to find it's someone in distress!!

The digit mapping sounds well above my understanding - and my first degree is electrical and electronic engineering - but useful. It would add more complexity to charging my phone use, too.

Many thanks again!

sadbuttrue

OK, it appears I may have spoken too soon!

When I took it out of the DMZ it reverted to no receiving audio.

Forgive my ignorance, but the ports need forwarding to the local IP of the Obi110?

LTN1

Just a guess...perhaps you can check out this FAQ series of questions and answers: http://www.obihai.com/faq/sip-alg/no-setting

ianobi

QuoteForgive my ignorance, but the ports need forwarding to the local IP of the Obi110?

Yes, that's correct. If audio is ok in DMZ, but not ok out of DMZ, then it's 99% certain to be a port forwarding issue.

If your router has a "sip-alg" setting, then try turning it off.