News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi1032 Lines Setup on Multiple Phones

Started by seemeobi, February 20, 2015, 10:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemeobi

Not sure if this can be done.
I have (3) OBi1032 Phones and 2 voip lines from voip.ms (Line 1 and Line 2).
Voip.ms requires a sub-account for each device so I have 6 different sip logins. (2 lines x 3 phones).
I have voicemail from voip.ms on Line 2 only.

I have Phone1 setup and it's working good.  Lines ring, I can make and receive calls on both lines

I added the two lines (Line 1 and Line 2) to the other two phones (Phone2 and Phone3) and they work fine for making and receiving calls.

So here is my issue/question:

Is there a way for example when I'm on Phone1 using Line 1 for the other two phones to show on the screen that Line 1 is in use?  Currently when I select Line 1 on Phone1 and make a call the other two phones don't give any indication that I'm on Phone1/Line 1 and someone can press Line 1 on one of the other phones a make a call.

Maybe these phone are not designed to operate like I'm looking to do and some problem may be that I'm having to use sub-accounts for each from the provider.  Any help, guidance, advise or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

202Owner

The OBi1032 claims 'Up to 24 Lines or Call Appearances – Programmable Across Six (6) VoIP Services (SIP and Google Voice) + OBiTALK Service', so it looks like you can program it to display many lines and calls in progress, even though only 6 voice services.

I would expect some multiplexing of the 6 voice services between inbound and outbound.  I'm not sure you need more than 1 sub-account/voice service per phone... you can configure more, but not necessarily just for 'line' purposes... 1 service can have unlimited SIP channel/sessions.

Unfortunately, my foray into VoIP has not gone beyond the OBi202.

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: seemeobi on February 20, 2015, 10:53:16 AM
Is there a way for example when I'm on Phone1 using Line 1 for the other two phones to show on the screen that Line 1 is in use?  Currently when I select Line 1 on Phone1 and make a call the other two phones don't give any indication that I'm on Phone1/Line 1 and someone can press Line 1 on one of the other phones a make a call.

Maybe these phone are not designed to operate like I'm looking to do and some problem may be that I'm having to use sub-accounts for each from the provider.  Any help, guidance, advise or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

What you want to do has to be done on the trunk server side and while Voip.ms does provide some PBX like features, what you are looking to do can only be done with a true PBX.  In that scenario, the PBX registers all the trunks / sub accounts to a central point and then your phones register to the PBX which then acts as the traffic cop and director AND provides additional functionality/information to the extensions (IP phones) such as SLA.   To register your trunks and extensions to a central PBX, you could use a cloud based PBX service like pbxes.com or you could buy a PBX appliance like Grandstream sells or you could "roll your own" on local hardware (even a Raspberry PI or Pogoplug) with a PBX in a Flash or FreePBX installation.   A PBX adds much more funcitionality and control plus you get additional features like CDR (call data reports), call recording, music on hold, time conditions, etc.  If you buy an appliance PBX like the Grandstream the learning curve is not very steep; if however you want to use a Aterisk / FreePBX based PBX be prepared for a little studying.

seemeobi

WelshPaul

This is known as Busy Lamps or BLF for short. (Busy Lamps Field)

It is a feature of a PBX as pointed out in a previous post, use it myself with my OBi1032 and other branded phones. I use FreePBX for my PBX, Asterisk based.

Google it. :)
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com