News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi1032 - MOHServiceNumber doesn't work. [RESOLVED - PHONEPOWER NOT SUPPORTED]

Started by ReVeLaTeD, March 10, 2015, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReVeLaTeD

From the OBi1000 Admin Guide, page 74:

"The OBi1000 has a built-in MOH Server that can be invoked by specifying: an({prompt}) (where an stands for the internal
announcement server), and prompt is a specification of the source to play. The devices includes a Jazz track that can be used
for music on hold. To enable the built-in track, specify the MOHServiceNumber as an(jazz)"

Put that in, and two things were observed.  

First, it doesn't work at all on inbound calls.  So if someone calls in, and you put them on hold, it hangs up.  No idea why.

Second, it doesn't half work on outbound calls.  You can put them on hold, but silence ensues.

I tried a few other SIP-based providers, same thing.

Is there some trick to getting this to function?  It's not a major big deal but it would really be nice if it worked.

N7AS

Try putting in music@iptel.org

This works for me. I wish they would have a way to upload an .mp3 MOH file from a USB stick. There is enough memory on the OBi1032 to handle it.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

ReVeLaTeD

Quote from: N7AS on March 10, 2015, 11:03:44 PM
Try putting in music@iptel.org

This works for me. I wish they would have a way to upload an .mp3 MOH file from a USB stick. There is enough memory on the OBi1032 to handle it.

Silence.

I must be missing something obvious.  I mean does the phone have the built-in jazz track as indicated or doesn't it?  If I could at least get that to work it would confirm that it's doing things right.  I've tried 4 providers and the internal, none seem to work.

N7AS

I just tried an(jazz) as in the Admin Guide and it works for both inbound and outbound calls. My firmware version is 5.0.0 (Build: 2436). What firmware version do you have on your OBi1032?

BTW; What other SIP-Based providers did you try. I may be interested in trying those also.

I am trying to get a streaming server by Homer Confrencing to work with an .mp3 MOH file that I have "obtained". It is really nice and has voiceovers. It's about 4.6MB in size.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

ReVeLaTeD

Quote from: N7AS on March 13, 2015, 03:04:16 PM
I just tried an(jazz) as in the Admin Guide and it works for both inbound and outbound calls. My firmware version is 5.0.0 (Build: 2436). What firmware version do you have on your OBi1032?

BTW; What other SIP-Based providers did you try. I may be interested in trying those also.

I am trying to get a streaming server by Homer Confrencing to work with an .mp3 MOH file that I have "obtained". It is really nice and has voiceovers. It's about 4.6MB in size.

5.0.0 (Build: 2436).  Just like yours.  One I tried was music@iptel.org which was suggested here.  Doesn't work.  Silence.  I unfortunately didn't keep any of the others, sorry.  Figured they were broken or something.

So either I'm missing something obvious, my device config doesn't support it for some reason, or something else is going on.

Here is my config:

Ignore that line at the end, that's my cursor in the box.

Am I missing something here?  I mean if that's not how it should be entered, it seems like OBi may need to fix their documentation...

EDIT: I figured it out.  It only works from SP1.  It doesn't "just work".  That's annoying.  I was testing on SP2, thus it wasn't working.  In my setup I will be making the majority of outbound calls via SP1, but I will be getting all of my work calls inbound via SP2.  It's SP2 I care most about for hold music.

The other issue is that it stutters as wallpaper changes.  Which means I'll have to figure out how to disable wallpapers entirely when in a call.

N7AS

That's interesting that it only works on SP1. That's the only trunk I tried. Maybe they should have that setting on every SPx. Or at least fix it so it works on every trunk.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

N7AS

I just checked my other SPx slots and MOH works. Not just SP!. Maybe it was due to a new firmware update I got last night 5.0.0 (Build: 2486).
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

ReVeLaTeD

Quote from: N7AS on March 18, 2015, 01:29:35 PM
I just checked my other SPx slots and MOH works. Not just SP!. Maybe it was due to a new firmware update I got last night 5.0.0 (Build: 2486).

I'm updating and rebooting my phone, hopefully that fixes it.  Maybe the techs just watch the boards for defects/omissions and publish fixes silently.

EDIT: Negative, still bugged.  Doesn't play hold music on SP2, hangs up when it's an inbound call and I press the Hold button.

Is it possible that the type of line is the problem?  SP1 is a Google Voice number, SP2 is a VoIP provider (PhonePower).  Is it possible that it just doesn't work with true VoIP for some reason?

N7AS

Quote from: ReVeLaTeD on March 18, 2015, 01:46:19 PM

I'm updating and rebooting my phone, hopefully that fixes it.  Maybe the techs just watch the boards for defects/omissions and publish fixes silently.

EDIT: Negative, still bugged.  Doesn't play hold music on SP2, hangs up when it's an inbound call and I press the Hold button.

Is it possible that the type of line is the problem?  SP1 is a Google Voice number, SP2 is a VoIP provider (PhonePower).  Is it possible that it just doesn't work with true VoIP for some reason?

I don't think that is the problem.
My SP1 through SP5 are configured as SIP through the Simonics GV Gateway which still works. My SP6 is the Link Trunk between my OBi1032, OBi202 and OBi200.

MOH still works when I get a call from my OBi202 linked to my OBi1032.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

ReVeLaTeD

Quote from: N7AS on March 18, 2015, 02:05:12 PM
Quote from: ReVeLaTeD on March 18, 2015, 01:46:19 PM

I don't think that is the problem.
My SP1 through SP5 are configured as SIP through the Simonics GV Gateway which still works. My SP6 is the Link Trunk between my OBi1032, OBi202 and OBi200.

MOH still works when I get a call from my OBi202 linked to my OBi1032.

To clarify, if you direct dial out from your SP2 on the OBi1032 to, say, your cell phone, answer it, then put it on hold with the Hold button on the OBi1032, you're hearing music from the cell phone?

N7AS

I didn't call my cell phone, but called my home phone connected to my OBi100 from SP2 on my OBi1032 put the call on hold and got the music fine.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

ReVeLaTeD

Quote from: N7AS on March 18, 2015, 04:40:58 PM
I didn't call my cell phone, but called my home phone connected to my OBi100 from SP2 on my OBi1032 put the call on hold and got the music fine.

Can you try to a cell phone?

It's a stretch but it would eliminate any sort of "same network"/"another OBi" situation.

N7AS

Quote from: ReVeLaTeD on March 18, 2015, 06:03:06 PM

It's a stretch but it would eliminate any sort of "same network"/"another OBi" situation.

I tried my cell phone from SP2 and the MOH works ok. Plays the music fine.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

ReVeLaTeD

Quote from: N7AS on March 18, 2015, 06:56:22 PM
Quote from: ReVeLaTeD on March 18, 2015, 06:03:06 PM

I tried my cell phone from SP2 and the MOH works ok. Plays the music fine.

ok well then I give up. 

Without OBi themselves clarifying if there's some other setting necessary to get this working on all SPx's I don't know why this isn't working.  And the webpage has so many diverse settings and the documentation so poor I can't tell if there is some other setting or not.  It just doesn't work which is expressly frustrating - minor, but it shouldn't be this difficult.

N7AS

I don't think it matters, but, do you configure the OBi1032 Locally or via the OBiTalk dashboard Expert Configuration?

I manage my devices locally with one exception that of my OBi200 only that was the only way to put GV on the device.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

MarkObihai

One thing that could cause this is if your service provider handles the hold-event remotely; in this case it will be their platform that dictates either the hold-tone or the music-on-hold - the OBi will only play the local holding-music when it is handling the call-hold event.
Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)

N7AS

@MarkObihai,

On the subject of MOH for the OBi1032 and OBi1062...

I have an .mp3 for MOH that is about 4.6MB in size. I would like to use this with my OBi1032. I am looking into an application Homer Conferencing to do this for me. It's a streaming audio/video server. I have it, but can't seem to figure out what sip uri to put into the OBi1032 to make this work. I emailed Homer Conferencing a week ago and have not received a reply. They are located in Germany.

Do you have any idea of how to make this work?

I would like to see a feature to be able to copy an .mp3 MOH audio file to the /usr folder in the phone to play for MOH. There should be enough memory space available as the IP Phones have 32MB onboard memory.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

MarkObihai

I've not come across Homer Conferencing myself, so I'm not sure how to set that up. (But if you work it out then do feel free to share how you did it!)

With regard to the OBi's local MOH file, this is not configurable. The feature is designed to be used with a SIP URI, with the an(jazz) option available as an easy way to implement local MOH.
Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)

N7AS

Quote from: MarkObihai on March 19, 2015, 01:26:23 PM
I've not come across Homer Conferencing myself, so I'm not sure how to set that up. (But if you work it out then do feel free to share how you did it!)

With regard to the OBi's local MOH file, this is not configurable. The feature is designed to be used with a SIP URI, with the an(jazz) option available as an easy way to implement local MOH.

Thanks Mark...

I am presently using the an(jazz) for my MOH.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

ReVeLaTeD

Quote from: MarkObihai on March 19, 2015, 12:26:54 PM
One thing that could cause this is if your service provider handles the hold-event remotely; in this case it will be their platform that dictates either the hold-tone or the music-on-hold - the OBi will only play the local holding-music when it is handling the call-hold event.

This was the key. 

PhonePower does not support Music on Hold at all if you're on an OBi plan, per Tech Support.  They don't allow you to override hold behavior to let OBi's UI handle the event - so it's like PhonePower holds the whole thing hostage unless you pay more money.

The fact this is not disclosed in their pricing plans REALLY ticks me off.  I've cancelled that service and signed up with Anveo, which does support it (though their model is EXTREMELY limited).  I've managed to get it set up and it's pretty darn powerful - though I don't care for the designer tool, it's quite feature rich for the price.  Now I just need to create a custom music file.

Doesn't look as though it supports SIP or any other external source from what I can tell.  It does support uploaded MP3s but can only play one assigned song at a time; no playlist or anything.  For the price, I think it's more than enough, and maybe the business class has more flexibility, don't know.

For what I wanted it'll do nicely, and I do like the ability to do things like detected fax tone routing, blocked call management, text messages, etc.  On the higher plans it can even connect to Google Cloud Print so you can pretty much print a fax out from any Cloud Print-connected printer.  I mean it's crazy.  Same $40/year as PhonePower but 10x more powerful.

Thanks for the assistance in tracking down that I'm not losing my mind.