News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi1022 announced

Started by drgeoff, April 16, 2015, 01:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drgeoff

Ansextra

Looks interesting but it doesn't seem like there's a way to use the phone as a router.  I have my home and office lines connected to my Obi202 right now.  The only way I could use this phone the same way is to connect the 202 to the Obi1022 I think?
I would love to switch to a SIP phone and maintain my 5 remote phones but this just doesn't seem possible unless I'm missing something?

SteveInWA

Why do you think you need a router in the phone?

Just use your home router and a switch, and plug everything into the switch.

Ansextra

I have 2 analog phones lines in the house (both using a SIP provider) going thru my Obi202.  One phone line is my home phone and uses 5 handsets.  The other is my office line with only one handset.  If i were to switch to the Obi1022 I can have both phone lines working but believe I would lose the 5 handsets unless I plug the base into the Obi1022 to convert to a SIP line (as my Obi202 does now).  I need the base of the home line to talk to the 5 remote handsets.  Maybe I'm missing something simple here?  I have a Verizon Actiontec router as well as a Netgear router so ports are not an issue.

SteveInWA

Plugging one OBi device into the other has nothing to do with how calls are routed over the network.

There are several different approaches you could take to either set up digit maps to route calls from one OBi thing to the other, or, depending on the ITSP (Internet Telephone Service Provider) you are using, you could create extensions on your ITSP account.  Each extension becomes a different SIP user ID/password combination, and can independently register on whatever SIP devices you want to use.  Callcentric, for example makes this easy.  You start with an inbound DID number, then set up extensions, and make call treatment rules to route inbound calls from each DID to whichever extension(s) you wish, either simultaneously, or sequentially.  Anveo has similar capabilities.

A third approach would be to set up a PBX and define extensions there, and then register all the devices to the PBX.

Ansextra

I think I'm somewhat understanding what you're saying.  I'm using VOIPO as my service provider on both phone lines.  The part I'm not understanding is that the base unit of the home phone line needs to be physically connected somewhere in order to have all the physical phone extensions in the house ring.  Where would that be connected physically?

SteveInWA

You'd have two different OBi devices:

The OBi 202 is an Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA).  You would use that the same way as today, with the analog telephone(s) plugged into it.

The OBi 10x2 IP phone is a separate device, with its own VOIPO or other ITSP SIP registrations. 

There could be, but doesn't have to be, routing between the two devices.  I don't know if VOIPO allows extensions or not; that would determine how to use both devices:  either as I described with Callcentric or Anveo, or by making the 10x2 IP phone a "slave" to the 202 using digit maps to route calls.  The simpler method is to let the ITSP handle it.

Inbound calls to your DID telephone numbers would work independently on both the 202-attached phones, and on the IP phone.

It appears that VOIPO supports "custom inbound call routing", but clicking on their feature list only pops up a small box of text, and doesn't actually take you anywhere to explain how to do it.  I suspect that you should be able to see the feature and set it up on your VOIPO portal.  Contact them for assistance, or maybe some other VOIPO user will chime in here.

Ansextra

That's pretty much what I was originally thinking would have to be done.  I would like to be able to use one device with one phone in my home office but I don't think that's possible.  I know I can register both SIP lines to the Obi10x2 but I would lose the physical handset extensions.  That would not work.  As much as I would like to have one phone to somehow do everything I don't believe it is possible.  I'm probably best off staying with my current setup.  At least I only need one ATA instead of two with my Obi202.  That's at least a step in the right direction.  Thanks for all of your assistance Steve.

SteveInWA

I'm a little confused.  You can use both the 202 you already own, and any one of the OBi IP phones, and not lose anything at all.  I have this exact setup at my house.  I have several Callcentric DIDs that are independently configured on my 202, and on a OBi 1032, and on a different brand of IP phone (Gigaset), and on a Grandstream ATA. 

Whichever inbound phone number is called will ring any or all of the phones, depending on the call routing rules I have set up with Callcentric; you can do the same thing with VOIPO. 

Example:  213-555-1234 could ring the analog phones plugged into the 202, and ring the 1022 at the same time, or you could limit another inbound number, say, 21-555-3456 to just ring of those two destinations.  The 1022 can independently register to the same inbound VOIPO number(s) as the 202.  That's the flexibility you get with SIP ITSPs.

Ansextra

Yes I can do that but my primary purpose in getting the Obi202 was to consolidate hardware as much as possible.  I've got to believe that's the big selling point for a device that allows two analog device connections.
So....unless there's a HUGE advantage with the Obi10x2 over what I currently have I'll stay with what I have that's working fine.  I would switch to a SIP-based phone if I could connect my home and office phones to it like the Obi202 but that doesn't seem possible currently.  I can wait.  Technology changes quickly.
Thanks again for your help Steve.