News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 In law apartment setup

Started by seaverd, April 28, 2015, 05:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaverd

Good Morning,

I just purchased an Obi202 and could use some assistance for setting up and configuring it for use in my house Phone 1 and in our in-law apartment on Phone 2.

Our current setup is utilizing a SPA2102 with the voip provider being Voip.ms.  We are utilizing 1 DID and a press 1 for our house and press 2 for in law apartment (IVR).  This setup is not working out will for us so we want to have two separate phone numbers and eliminate the IVR.
I am also looking to keep our costs low...so here is what I was thinking for a setup:

Phone 1 – keep voip.ms DID for incoming calls and e911....route outgoing calls to google voice so we are not paying for these calls.  Can I make my outgoing caller ID be my incoming DID number??

Phone 2  - get a new phone number from Google Voice for my in-laws and use this for incoming and outgoing calls...however I would like to route e911 to use the voip.ms e911 that will be configured for phone 1 above.

Does this configuration make sense?  Any suggestions on improving or configuring this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

Quick edit:  I followed the voip.ms configuration sample and they recommended disabling obitalk and configuring it manually.  Which I have done for just Phone 1...so I could make phone calls while trying to figure out the configuration.

OzarkEdge

I use an OBi202 with VoIP.ms.  You may find my notes helpful (link at bottom)...

>>Phone 1 – keep voip.ms DID for incoming calls and e911....route outgoing calls to google voice so we are not paying for these calls.  Can I make my outgoing caller ID be my incoming DID number?

See my notes for Google Voice concerns.

You can route sp1/VoIP.ms inbound to PH1.  You could set PH1 Primary Line to TG1 = sp2,sp1 where sp1 is VoIP.ms and sp2 is GV1.  Then be sure the trunk digit maps are properly defined... sp1 allows VoIP.ms dialing; sp2 allows GV dialing.  Outbound will default to sp2/GV1 and failover to sp1/VoIP.ms.  911 will only be defined in the sp1 digit map and will only go out sp1.  All good.

Unfortunately, GV will not let you spoof your CallerID (nor block CallerIDs).  This is a problem for your plan.  At best, you may want 2 GV accounts, 1 for your outbound and 1 for their inbound/outbound... but this does not fix your outbound CallerID problem.  Maybe you can afford using only VoIP.ms and they only use GV1 except for your 911... then no spoofing required... but they may not be able to block telemarketing calls on GV.

>>Phone 2  - get a new phone number from Google Voice for my in-laws and use this for incoming and outgoing calls...however I would like to route e911 to use the voip.ms e911 that will be configured for phone 1 above.

Similar to above... route sp3/GV2 inbound to PH2.  Set PH2 Primary Line to TG2 = sp3,sp1 where sp1 is VoIP.ms and sp3 is GV2.  Then be sure the trunk digit maps are properly defined... sp1 allows VoIP.ms dialing; sp3 allows GV dialing (same digit map as for sp2).  Outbound will default to sp3/GV2 and failover to sp1/VoIP.ms.  911 will only be defined in the sp1 digit map and will only go out sp1.  All good.

>>Does this configuration make sense?  Any suggestions on improving or configuring this would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, except not being able to spoof the GV CallerID is a problem... as you have found out already, you want to keep your solution(s) separate and independent... except for 911.

Consider using the trunk groups for outbound... they provide automatic failover and routing... very cool, imo.

>>I followed the voip.ms configuration sample and they recommended disabling obitalk and configuring it manually.

I also do not use the OBiTALK Cloud.  However, after OBi2 Series v3.0.1 Build 4367, you must use OBiTALK Provisioning to configure for GV.

OE