News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to complete setup on Obi100 (can't configure static IP)

Started by DianeStill, May 11, 2015, 10:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DianeStill

Hi guys,
I have an Obi100, an Apple Airport Extreme router, a telephone, and a Google Voice account. I recently ported my Time Warner Cable landline number to T-Mobile and then to Google Voice. Today, my Google Voice number is the same as my old landline, all this after following the Obi instructions. The plan was to use this old number to make Google Voice phone calls via the Obi100. However, I'm unable to add my device to the Obi Web portal. It never recognizes it. I'm unsure whether I need an ADDITIONAL phone number (through Anveo or Voip.ms) to complete my setup. I tried signing up through Anveo but because I didn't have an Obi device yet, they wouldn't allow me to set up an account.  >:( Attached are my Google Voice settings - am I set up right???

I actually just ordered a replacement Obi100 in the hopes that mine was a faulty unit. Here are some of the problems I've been having:

• When I configure a new IP address, after disabling DHCP, and "save" the setting, Obi immediately forgets what I just saved. I am unable to commit an IP address to the device. I have rebooted, factory resetted both the Obi and the Airport Extreme numerous times.
  • Even when DHCP is enabled, the Obi won't take an IP address. Is it possible I'm screwing up the "DMZ" for my Airport Extreme? If so, I've attached a screenshot of the settings for that as well to verify.

Any insight into this process you can provide, I would be most grateful. Love the simplicity of the Obi idea but am just totally confused right now, having read so many posts and gone through all the troubleshooting on the Obi FAQ. Thank you so much in advance!

DianeStill

Here are my Google Voice settings from the previous post...

drgeoff

I'm confused.

Adding a device to the Obitalk portal has no dependency on the existence of SIP or GV accounts.

And why do you think that setting a static IP address is a prerequisite to moving forward?

Most OBi installatons do not require use of DMZ.

DianeStillReal

Thanks drgeoff! (I had to switch my username bc logging in with Google+ created too many headaches:/)
So I went down the road of setting DMZ and trying the static IP because I wasn't able to get the Obi to do anything except blinking green. I could call the setup menu and tweak from there, but it always led to the same result: Device was not recognized by the web portal and no IP address was assigned. Any ideas what might be causing this? Appreciate the help!

NoelB

Quote from: DianeStillReal on May 13, 2015, 01:52:22 PM
So I went down the road of setting DMZ and trying the static IP because I wasn't able to get the Obi to do anything except blinking green. I could call the setup menu and tweak from there, but it always led to the same result: Device was not recognized by the web portal and no IP address was assigned. Any ideas what might be causing this? Appreciate the help!
I had an obi110 that continually blinked green that was replaced as faulty so don't rule that out.
Otherwise I would reset to factory and it should request an ip addr from your router. If it doesnt get one and stays blinking reboot your router and try that. If it gets an ip addr and you want it to be static it is best to leave the obi on dhcp but reserve a fixed ip based on its mac address in your router. Most routers have this option.
I would also avoid dmz as a security risk.
Edit. I should have added that I enter settings from the local portal and disable everything on the Auto provisioning page to prevent obitalk changing any settings I have made locally. I dont know how this effects GV because I only use voip sip settings.