News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outgoing only Google Voice

Started by markruz, May 26, 2015, 11:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markruz

I have an Obi202 and I'd like to use SP1 as an outgoing only line for PH1.

It would be a bonus if the incoming calls don't even show up in the call history.

I have another Obi202 which also has the same Google Voice account for incoming and outgoing on PH1.

Due to that I can't uncheck the Google Chat box in the Google Voice panel to stop all incoming calls at the account level.

Any insight would be great!

OzarkEdge

I believe conventional advice is to not register more than one OBi to one GV account to avoid uncertain routing/behavior.

Given one OBi202 using GV1 for inbound and outbound, I suggest a second OBi202 uses GV2 (no GV DID) for outbound only.

>>It would be a bonus if the incoming calls don't even show up in the call history.

I suppose the OBi202 sp1 inbound call route could route calls to nowhere (and then they might not be recorded in Call History), but you still would not want this OBi dual registering with the same one GV account.

OE

SteveInWA

Quote from: markruz on May 26, 2015, 11:25:27 AM
I have an Obi202 and I'd like to use SP1 as an outgoing only line for PH1.

It would be a bonus if the incoming calls don't even show up in the call history.

I have another Obi202 which also has the same Google Voice account for incoming and outgoing on PH1.

Due to that I can't uncheck the Google Chat box in the Google Voice panel to stop all incoming calls at the account level.

Any insight would be great!

Do you care about the caller ID displayed to the called party?  You didn't elaborate on why you want/need this feature.  If it's going to be used for outbound calls where you actually don't want the called party to know your number, then just create a Google account and make a phone call from Gmail, using Chat (you need to do this to activate XMPP (Chat) support for OBi, but you won't have a check-mark next to it on your GV settings).  Don't request/set up your own inbound GV phone number.  Provision this account on the OBi of your choice.  All outbound calls will display Google's generic trunk caller ID, which doesn't accept inbound calls:  (760) 705-8888.  There won't be any inbound calls at all to worry about in history, since nobody can successfully call that number.

For example:  an OBi 200 or 202 could have SP1 configured with your GV account that is used for inbound and outbound calls, land SP2 configured with another GV account, which is only used for outbound calls.  This is easy to set up using the OBiTALK portal.

Complete directions are here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

If, on the other hand, you do want it to display a meaningful caller ID, but you don't want to receive calls on that number, then obtain a GV phone number for that account.

azrobert

You want to block incoming calls on the 2nd OBi202. Correct?
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute: {}

Use OBi Expert to make this change.

markruz

Quote from: azrobert on May 26, 2015, 08:47:54 PM
You want to block incoming calls on the 2nd OBi202. Correct?
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute: {}

Use OBi Expert to make this change.

Also, should I uncheck X_RegisterEnable and/or check DoNotDisturbEnable? Thanks.

Digerati

How did this all work out? I have two Obi200's connected to the same VoIP service on SP1. In my case, I am using PhonePower, but I assume the instructions will be the same? The first Obi200 is used for incoming and outgoing calls. The second Obi200 is used for outgoing fax only. I don't want any chance that the fax machine will answer incoming calls. For this reason, I want the second Obi200 to be outgoing calls only.

Is the best way to do this "Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute: {}", or "Also, should I uncheck X_RegisterEnable and/or check DoNotDisturbEnable?"

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Taoman

Quote from: Digerati on July 20, 2016, 11:03:12 PM

Is the best way to do this "Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute: {}

That's all you need to do.