News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 - Unregistered Direct IP Dialing

Started by N2VWZ, January 09, 2013, 06:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N2VWZ

I'm operating in Bridge Mode over an OBiWiFi connection.  The IP address is statically configured to 192.168.1.30.

ITSP Profiles A and B (Voice Services SP1 and SP2) are configured for Google Voice.  These services are working fine.

I want to configure ITSP Profile C (Voice Service SP3) for SIP direct IP (url to url) dialing.  I'm presently using a Sipura SPA2000 similarly configured for direct IP operation.

I configured the OBi202 according to the FAQ:

ITSP Profile C:
Proxy = n2vwz.dyndns.org  (This points to my WAN IP address.  There is no SIP proxy server.  I also tried 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.x IP addresses without success)

Voice Services SP3 Service:
X_RegisterEnable = unchecked
AuthUserName = xxxxxx

The calling url should be xxxxxx@n2vwz.dyndns.org

SP3 status reports an Authentication error and I get a busy signal instead of a dial tone on that line (**3) when I try to dial out.  It looks like it is trying to register even though the X_RegisterEnable box is unchecked.

Any ideas on whats going on?

azrobert

Are you setting the correct port number?
The OBi defaults to 5060.

ianobi

azrobert is on the right lines - port number is needed. For sp3 it's most likely to be 5062.

Here's a setup that's working:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile C -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile C -> SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID : checked

Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> Enable : (checked)
Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> AuthUserName : (any letters or numbers)
Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : C
Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> X_UserAgentPort : 5062
Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> CallerIDName : Whatever
Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> MaxSessions : 4

Calls incoming to your OBi from outside of your local subnet should be in the format:
anything@n2vwz.dyndns.org:5062
Note that the UserAgentPort (5062 is default for sp3) is needed.

Calls incoming to your OBi from inside your local subnet should be in the format:
anything@192.168.1.30:5062

Devices calling into your OBi need to be set to call without registration.

The best way to protect yourself from unwanted calls is to set up some sort of "trusted callers" arrangement on the
Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute
Most users put trusted CallerIDs in a UserDefined DigitMap called cot.

azrobert

Either I'm confused or ianobi.
You are dialing out of sp3, not receiving a call.  Correct?
Where is the device you're calling and what is it's port number?

If the device is on the same LAN as the OBi you shouldn't use the dynamic address.
Just use it's IP address.

If you want you can set up a dummy SIP config on SP3 like ianobi described above and then use a speed dial to call out like:
sp3(xxxxxx@192.168.1.xxx:506x)
or
sp3(xxxxxx@n2vwz.dyndns.org:506x)
If you go this route, in the future you'll be able to use sp3 for another provider.

ianobi

@ azrobert - I'm well known for answering questions that have not been asked  :D

We had better wait for clarification from N2VWZ before saying too much more  :)

azrobert

I forgot something.

If you are using the dynamic address make sure your router is port forwarding to the correct address.

N2VWZ

I have Port 5060 on the router forwarded to 192.168.1.30.  The router is Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT software.  I haven't reached the point where I have tried to receive calls.  I can't even get a dialtone to dial out - just a busy signal when I pick up SP3 to dial out.

The Sipura SPA2000 is on 192.168.1.32 with Ports 5061 & 5062 forwarded to the same IP.  This is working fine.

I think that I discovered where the problem lies:

I configured ITSP Profile C for SIP.  ITSP Profiles A & B are configured for Google Voice.  Right now, SP3 is pointing to Profile A instead of Profile C.  It's trying to use Google Voice for my SIP connection.  I didn't realize that the X_ServProvProfile parameter was supposed to point to ITSP Profiles A thru D.  Presently it's defaulting to A.

That being said, I probably don't need two ITSP Profiles (A & B) for my 2 Google voice numbers.

I will have to wait until this evening to reconfigure and test.

N2VWZ

I changed X_ServProvProfile to C
The Status Message changed from Authentication Error to Registration Not Required.

I still get a busy signal when I hit **3 instead of a dial tone when I attempt to dial. (note - the phone port profile is configured to produce a secondary dialtone. This is working with **1, **2, and **9)

These are my settings:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile C -> SIP -> ProxyServer : n2vwz.dyndns.org
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile C -> SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID : (unchecked)
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile C -> SIP -> ProxyServerPort : 5060

Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> Enable : (checked)
Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : C
Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> X_UserAgentPort : 5060
Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> AuthUserName : 444xxx

Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> CallerIDName : N2VWZ
Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> MaxSessions : 2

I'm IP dialing a Sipura box across town that is presently working with my Sipura box.
My working Sipura Dial in URL is: 444xxx@n2vwz.dyndns.org:5061

My expected Obi Dial in URL would be: 444xxx@n2vwz.dyndns.org:5060

ianobi

We must be missing something obvious here – outgoing SIP URI calling should be the easy part!

The ObiDeviceAdminGuide (not the most reliable document in the world!) shows the default ITSP X DigitMap as:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx |011xx.|xx.)
This will not work for SIP URI calling.

All you need is:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile C -> General -> DigitMap:
([^*#]@@.'@'@@.)

This is a bit worrying:
QuoteI still get a busy signal when I hit **3
It's as if the OBi thinks sp3 is not enabled.

This is correct:
QuoteThe Status Message changed from Authentication Error to Registration Not Required.

I would change to this as it is known to work for many of us:

May I ask how you are "dialling" the far end Sipura? Via a speed dial or from a keypad? If so is the format **3something@somewhere.org:port or sp3(something@somewhere.org:port) ?

N2VWZ

Quote from: ianobi on January 10, 2013, 04:07:06 AM
We must be missing something obvious here – outgoing SIP URI calling should be the easy part!

I would change to this as it is known to work for many of us:

I changed ITSP Profile C -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1. Still no dialtone. 
I'm still getting a fast busy when I hit **3 manually and attempt to dial.

QuoteMay I ask how you are "dialling" the far end Sipura? Via a speed dial or from a keypad? If so is the format **3something@somewhere.org:port or sp3(something@somewhere.org:port) ?

I'm using speed call to dial the far end Sipura
(same url that works when calling from the near end Sipura, but prefixed with **3)

Again, just dialing **3 without speed call should bring up a dialtone, but I'm getting a fast busy instead.

ianobi

Is the status of sp3 still "Registration Not Required"? Which is how it should be.

If you get fast busy after dialling **3, then there must be something more basic not right. Would you mind showing your Phone 1 DigitMap and Phone 1 OutboundCallRoute? Assuming phone 1 and 2 are the same regarding **3 operation.

N2VWZ

Quote from: ianobi on January 10, 2013, 06:24:54 AM
Is the status of sp3 still "Registration Not Required"? Which is how it should be.

If you get fast busy after dialling **3, then there must be something more basic not right. Would you mind showing your Phone 1 DigitMap and Phone 1 OutboundCallRoute? Assuming phone 1 and 2 are the same regarding **3 operation.

Status is still "Registration Not Required"

The Phone 1 & 2 DigitMap and OutboundCallRoute parameters are ObiHai 202 default with the exception of Phone 1 Digit map. 

I modified the Phone 1 Digit map to invoke a secondary dial tone after dialing a service select code (**1, **2, **3, **9).  I copied the string that I was using on my OB1100, so it's possible that the added string does not account for **3 and **4 codes which are not supported by the Obi100.  This may be the reason for the busy signal.

I won't have equipment access until tonight.  I will look at this tonight when I get home.

azrobert

Quote from: N2VWZ on January 09, 2013, 03:35:05 PM
I'm IP dialing a Sipura box across town that is presently working with my Sipura box.

If the OBi is calling the same device as the Sipura, shouldn't the OBi also call port 5061?

azrobert

Reading more of your posts I'm getting confused, which isn't uncommon for me.

Does n2vwz.dyndns.org point to the WAN address of your OBi/Sipura or does it point to tha WAN address of the Sipura across town?

N2VWZ

Quote from: azrobert on January 10, 2013, 01:27:48 PM
Quote from: N2VWZ on January 09, 2013, 03:35:05 PM

If the OBi is calling the same device as the Sipura, shouldn't the OBi also call port 5061?

The url of the Sipura across town is 444xxx@wa2vcs.dyndns.org:5064  He can call my Sipura box on port 5061 or my OBi box on port 5060. 

N2VWZ

Quote from: azrobert on January 10, 2013, 02:19:18 PM
Reading more of your posts I'm getting confused, which isn't uncommon for me.

Does n2vwz.dyndns.org point to the WAN address of your OBi/Sipura or does it point to tha WAN address of the Sipura across town?

n2vwz.dyndns.org points to my WAN address.  wa2vcs.dyndns.org points to the Sipura across town.  Our IP addresses are dynamic.  Our routers automatically notifies dyndns.org whenever the IP address changes.

azrobert

To call the Sipura across town set your OBi as follows:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile C -> SIP -> ProxyServer : wa2vcs.dyndns.org
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile C -> SIP -> ProxyServerPort : 5064

Or use speed dial:
sp3(444xxx@wa2vcs.dyndns.org:5064)

For the Sipura to call your OBi he should have:
ProxyServer : n2vwz.dyndns.org:5060

N2VWZ

Quote from: ianobi on January 10, 2013, 06:24:54 AM

Problem Solved!  The Phone 1 Digit map was the problem.  When I modified the string to add a secondary dial tone, I copied a working string from an OBi100.  As a result, there was no support for SP3 and SP4.

This is the corrected Ph1 Digit Map string that is working:

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|**8(Mbt)|**1{t=di}(Msp1)|**2{t=di}(Msp2)|**3{t=di}(Msp3)|**4{t=di}(Msp4)|**9{t=di}(Mpp)|(Mpli))

This brought up the dial tone and allowed me to dial out.  I was able to signal the remote Sipura, but there was initially no voice path.

Because the OBi is running behind a NAT, I also had to supply my WAN address to the X_PublicIPAddress field.  I also tried using my URL (n2vwz.dyndns.org) in this field, but the Obi202 would not resolve the URL.

Adding URL resolution capability to the X_PublicIPAddress field would be a good feature for Obihai to add to the firmware. This would eliminate the need to update this field every time the IP address changes.  I am aware that I could use a STUN server, but I don't want any 3rd party dependencies for Direct IP operation.

azrobert

Quote from: N2VWZ on January 10, 2013, 07:58:55 PM

n2vwz.dyndns.org points to my WAN address.  wa2vcs.dyndns.org points to the Sipura across town.

How does your config work if your proxy server (n2vwz.dyndns.org) points to yourself?

Edit:

Glad you got this working.
Sorry if I sounded like a jerk with the above post, but I really don't understand.
I guess I don't know as much as I think I do.

ianobi

@ N2VWZ - congrats on getting it working!

@ azrobert - I share your confusion! I would leave these neutral:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile C -> SIP -> ProxyServerPort : 5060

Then use speed dials as you suggest:
sp3(444xxx@wa2vcs.dyndns.org:5064)

That way any IP or dynamic address can be called.