News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Backup Configuration File Issues

Started by LTN1, August 17, 2015, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTN1

In the past three days, I have not been able to backup my configuration file via the OBitalk expert configuration menu. It keeps on saying, "Can not retrieve configuration from device now. Please try again later."

Just wondering if there is a problem with the OBitalk site when it comes to this or is there something I'm failing to do properly?

restamp

Have you ever been able to take a backup from the online web portal?  (I haven't.)

Anyway, for this sort of thing, I believe it is best to make use of the webserver in the device.  Just make sure you remember where you store the backup*.xml file which is produced.

LTN1

I'm able to backup (save) my OBi configuration locally (see Local Backup Configuration picture) but not from the OBitalk expert configuration menu (see OBiTalk Backup Configuration picture).

For those more experienced, would you chime in to explain if the configurations backup file, whether done locally or via the OBitalk web site, is the same?

azrobert

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can tell you what I did. I always used the local interface to configure my OBi's. I had to re-define GV on OBiTalk after upgrading the firmware. After checking "Use OBi Version" I created a backup using the local interface. I then imported the backup into OBiTalk, re-defined GV and switched back to the local interface. The OBi worked perfectly after the above procedure. You decide if this proves the different backups are the same.

SteveInWA

As I recall, I think that the inability to back up via the OBiTALK portal is a bug that has been around for months.  The method that Robert recommended should work fine, with his caveat that you will simply need to re-do your GV setup(s) after restoring the config.

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 17, 2015, 09:42:05 PM
As I recall, I think that the inability to back up via the OBiTALK portal is a bug that has been around for months.  The method that Robert recommended should work fine, with his caveat that you will simply need to re-do your GV setup(s) after restoring the config.

Have you or azrobert ever saved a configuration from OBiTalk then import using the same site method? Just wondering if restoring a saved configuration from the OBiTalk site will automatically restore GV and any other SP setup(s) also?

SteveInWA

I haven't tried it.  It's a moot point anyhow, since saving the configuration on the OBiTALK portal is broken, so I can't test it.  I can, however tell you that it wouldn't save the GV authentication credentials (OAUTH token), nor would it save any other service provider SIP passwords.  This is by design, for security purposes.  See pages 44 and 45 of the OBi admin guide for details.

Saving and restoring the way Robert described is the best alternative.   You simply need to re-run the GV account setup, and, if you use any other service providers, re-enter their passwords.

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 17, 2015, 11:06:34 PM
I haven't tried it.  It's a moot point anyhow, since saving the configuration on the OBiTALK portal is broken, so I can't test it.  I can, however tell you that it wouldn't save the GV authentication credentials (OAUTH token), nor would it save any other service provider SIP passwords.  This is by design, for security purposes.  See pages 44 and 45 of the OBi admin guide for details.

Saving and restoring the way Robert described is the best alternative.   You simply need to re-run the GV account setup, and, if you use any other service providers, re-enter their passwords.

It makes sense. Thanks.

azrobert

The backup doesn't contain any passwords, so after importing the backup as described above OBiTalk didn't have any passwords. After OBiTalk updated the configuration on the OBi, all my non-GV trunks registered without entering any passwords, so it looks like OBiTalk will not overlay passwords on the physical device with blanks. Obviously, this won't help if you do a factory reset.

LTN1

Quote from: azrobert on August 18, 2015, 06:48:04 AM
The backup doesn't contain any passwords, so after importing the backup as described above OBiTalk didn't have any passwords. After OBiTalk updated the configuration on the OBi, all my non-GV trunks registered without entering any passwords, so it looks like OBiTalk will not overlay passwords on the physical device with blanks. Obviously, this won't help if you do a factory reset.

Robert...appreciate your expertise. I'm quite amazed at the amount of knowledge and experience that you and Steve have in using the OBi. Thanks.