News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is OBiTalk Adding Device functionality down today?

Started by VOIP_JoeSummy, August 23, 2015, 05:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOIP_JoeSummy

Today I reset my OBi110. But I found that I cannot add it to the OBiTalk site afterwards. I dialed **5 6014 from the telephone handset as instructed on the "Add an OBi Device" page, and I heard the automated response. But this page just stayed there and eventually it timed out, with error saying failure in adding my device.

I tried **9-222-222-222. But I heard - "There is no service available to complete your call."

If it is indeed caused by the OBiTalk site issue, then I think OBIHAI need to bring the Google Voice set-up capability to the local web-admin interface as soon as it can. Cloud computing does have its own share of vulnerability even many ardent supporters are not willing to admit it.

I ended up begrudgingly set up voip.ms locally for the moment. But voip.ms is way more expensive than Google voice. It charges US dollars even it is based in Canada. It even charges tax on top of it. North America calling is not free either. Calls to China take a long time to ring. In contrast, in calls to China via Google Voice, I can hear the ring immediately. Small companies really cannot compete again large companies. Also I really don't really care about the Caller ID stuff. I don't really care about what will show up on the recipient's phone screen when I call them. So I can live with Google Voice on that matter.

SteveInWA

Chill out with the adult beverage of your choice, have a nice evening, and it'll be back up tomorrow.

LouisD

Thank you for your post.  I've been going crazy all morning checking everything on my network and generally just going nuts as to why I can't add my OBi200 back after a factory reset.  Look like it is indeed on the server end.  It'd be nice to have that status posted somewhere so I wouldn't have wasted an hour plus.

LouisD

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 23, 2015, 07:24:35 PM

Chill out with the adult beverage of your choice, have a nice evening, and it'll be back up tomorrow.

Lots of adult beverages by now.  This seems to be a fairly major thing to have down for over a day.

MrGadget

I have spent the last 90 min validating my network, router, switches, OBI's - Rebooting - No change in accessing Obitalk ("Acquiring Service (0)", or "OFFLINE" in ObiTalk DashBoard)

It would be nice it the ObiTalk OBI DashBoard would show a meaningful message (Maintenance) or something useful. Or some type of status gauge, "75% operational. Some services Impacted."

Wasting time trying to debug a network is not how I planned on starting my day.

Let's hope they are able to recover soon. Back to drinking.

MrGadget

ObiTalk Service just restored within past 15 minutes. Status "Connected/Normal" (Confirmed devices in several US States), and able to make/receive ObiTalk Calls now.

RFC3261

Quote from: MrGadget on August 24, 2015, 11:16:25 AM
ObiTalk Service just restored within past 15 minutes. Status "Connected/Normal" (Confirmed devices in several US States), and able to make/receive ObiTalk Calls now.

While annoying, these outages do occur from time to time, and if they occur over the weekend often seem to take until the next business day to get resolved.  My guess would be that the infrastructure is not designed to (expensive) high availability that something like Yahoo has to achieve, but then again, you cannot ask for much for a "free" service.  The most annoying thing for me is that when I occasionally do make changes, they tend to be on a weekend, which increases the potential outage period.  I have learned to always check the portal first, and making some innocuous change, to make sure things are working before wholesale changes.

Ostracus

"Free" service that by a design decision is part of "paid" hardware. No biggie, but I do think we need to keep in that in mind.

VOIP_JoeSummy

Is it back up online?

I just tried moment ago, and I still cannot add my obi device to the site. The "Add an OBi Device" page just timed out.

Why are OBIHAI employees surprisingly silent on this issue? Do they actively monitor this forum?