News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 not linking to Dashboard

Started by Vorg, October 25, 2015, 06:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vorg

Finally got a 202 and started working on getting it set up. Final goal is to transfer a phone line from COX.

With it all plugged in, and a phone on port 1, it seems to be working. The manual that comes with it says that the phone line LED should be solid green but It is off until I pick up the phone which does make it start flashing. I used the * code to switch it to bridged so I could access the web interface and I changed the admin password to secure it.

Test call works and when I try to add it to the dashboard, It says it as sent the info to the server. But the web page never changes after giving the code to use. I'm guessing ether it doesn't use Java or is doing it in a way that gets it blocked. I get no request to allow Java. I first tried it with Google Voice unchecked twice. But nothing new shows up. I also tried it with use google voice checked and after more then an hour, it has not showed up. I use login with google account for obitalk site.

SteveInWA

Where did you buy the 202?  Is it brand new, from Amazon, Newegg, Fry's, etc, or is it from a friend, or from eBay or ?

Has it been used before by somebody else?

Vorg

SteveInWA

Well, for starters, it has nothing to do with Java; nothing used by OBiTALK or Google Voice uses Java.  Why did you think that mattered?  If you've blocked various ports, or blocked javascript, etc, then that could be an issue.

Try a different web browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari or MSIE) than the one you are using.  Try using private or incognito browsing mode.

It's possible that the device isn't "factory fresh", but somebody bought it, fiddled with it, added it to their account, didn't want it, and then returned it.  If so, then it may be stuck on somebody else's account.

While powered-on, but with the Ethernet cable detached, use a paper clip to gently depress the recessed reset button on the underside of the device for at least 10 seconds, to initiate a factory reset.  After it completes, you should be able to pick up the telephone plugged into it and hear a dial tone.  Attach the Ethernet cable and wait a couple minutes.  Press ***1 to ensure the device is getting an IP address assigned.

Now, log into the OBiTALK portal, and use the **5 procedure to attempt to add it again.  If it fails, follow the troubleshooter, here:  http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/sg/adddev

If that doesn't work, open a support ticket with Obihai.

Vorg

I Use WaterFox with ABP, Noscript and "HTTPS Everywhere". But the reason I thought it might be Java is because some of the changes they have made cause it to not always want to run. DSL Reports tools and speed test don't work because the site can't seem to even request java. I just get an error to install Java while other sites now trigger a popup requesting to allow java to run.

I'll give the reset a try tomorrow, but I looked through the settings and everything was checked for default settings except for bridge which I changed to get access to the web interface and then I changed the timezone and daylight settings to match my location.

drgeoff

A new OBi with default settings should indeed have the PHONE LED lit (not flashing) when the device has a working internet connection and the phone is on-hook. It signifies that the device has been able to register with the Obitalk network. That is NOT the same thing as being registered ("linked") to your Dashboard via the **5 xxxx procedure.

Even before/without the **5 xxxx process succeeding you should be able to reach the echo test number when you dial **9 222 222 222. If you cannot then you need to investigate that before trying to add to the Dashboard.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on October 26, 2015, 05:19:19 AM
A new OBi with default settings should indeed have the PHONE LED lit (not flashing) when the device has a working internet connection and the phone is on-hook. It signifies that the device has been able to register with the Obitalk network. That is NOT the same thing as being registered ("linked") to your Dashboard via the **5 xxxx procedure.

No, that's incorrect for the OBi 20x series.  A factory-reset (and not-yet configured) OBi 20x device will only have the power and internet LEDs lit; the telephone service LED will be off.

Even before/without the **5 xxxx process succeeding you should be able to reach the echo test number when you dial **9 222 222 222. If you cannot then you need to investigate that before trying to add to the Dashboard.

That part is correct -- it will work with OBiTALK, but by itself, OBiTALK doesn't light up the phone service LED when the phone is on-hook, until after it's been added to the portal.

Vorg

Didn't get to mess with it today, got home late. But I did call the 222 test number before starting a thread here and it worked. Everything seemed ok until I got to the **5 part.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 26, 2015, 04:44:07 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on October 26, 2015, 05:19:19 AM

No, that's incorrect for the OBi 20x series.  A factory-reset (and not-yet configured) OBi 20x device will only have the power and internet LEDs lit; the telephone service LED will be off.
That is an interesting difference between a 110 and a 202. I only have the former of the two. Irrespective of whether SP1 and/or SP2 is/are registered,  the PHONE LED is lit when Obitalk service is "normal" and off when disabled.

drgeoff

@Vorg
It is not unknown for the Obitalk portal registration server to have some issues. When these happen during a weekend they don't seem to get fixed until the Monday. So try again.

If still not working see http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/sg/adddev

Vorg

Took 3 tries to reset the device. After the first 2, it was still in bridge mode. So on the 3rd try I just held the reset until the power light changed. It starts blinking right away, but after about 15 seconds, it blinked faster for a couple seconds, then stopped for a moment. Then I let off the reset and the light went through some things back to normal on. Then it added correctly.

How ever, I think I goofed up. The first thing I always do when I get web access to a new device is change the password. The device was added to the dash board and on the web interface, it list "ITSP Profile A" as google voice. But on the dashboard for SP1 it kept the spinning icon for configuring device. It also lists the default password under web page password. I changed the web pass back to default and the spinning icon stopped, but now says "Service Not Configured". Likely took too long setting it back. I would like to change the password and I'm guessing I need to also change it on the dashboard to match. But what do I do to restart the auto config? or do I have to do it manually somehow now?

NVM on the update. I Just clicked the gear icon which basicly put me back at the preceeding page and I clicked save again. This time it says connected. I would still like to change the password. It needs to match on the dashboard right?

SteveInWA

Change the password on the OBiTALK portal, and then the portal will automatically propagate that change to your device.

This is the case for any changes made:  changes made on the portal will overwrite any changes made locally on the device, unless you disable portal management of the device.