News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi200 google voice setup shows "connecting to 146.112.61.106"

Started by jtkleinoh, November 19, 2015, 04:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtkleinoh

please help... trying to drop time warner phone and still use the home landlines for wife.

Arris surfboard sb6141 cable modem (factory settings) and Netgear N600 WNDR3400v2 router.
logged into obitalk with google password; google voice account all set up with working phone number and "forward calls to google chat" checked. 

added device successfully, called **5 number successfully to add the device with no issue.
took about 6 minutes to "configure device" and then google voice status is stuck on "connecting to..."

Tried a call out and it says that the device is not configured.

I was hoping this was going to be easy.  Please help!

SteveInWA

That doesn't look right.   Are you trying to use openDNS?  Use the Google DNS servers, instead, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

jtkleinoh

I have openDNS configured to block some sites for my son who has a school issued chrome book.
not doing anything else with it purposefully.  Guess this is not for me.

SteveInWA

If your son's school hasn't locked it down, you can change the DNS servers used by his Chromebook.  Just click on the WiFi icon to get to network settings, then click on the WiFi access point in use, then click on the Network tab and set your custom DNS to openDNS.

Or, if your router supports any sort of parental controls, you could enable whatever blocking you wish.  I can't see crippling your entire home network just for that.

jtkleinoh

my router lists my dns servers as 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.  
this is my first ever problem.

SteveInWA

Temporarily, at least, change them to the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 DNS as I described, and see if the symptom changes.

jtkleinoh

made the change with no different results.
it configures for about 5 minutes and gives me that same IP address that it is connecting to.
will next try turning off openDNS parental controls and see if that has any impact
i really was psyched and thought this was going to be easy. sigh.

jtkleinoh

well, that did it.  not sure why.  i turned off my blocked sites within my router and also the external netgear/openDNS parental control blocking and it worked perfectly.  The way I thought it should.  So now I will play with trying to turn things back on.

I know I was never a child of the Internet Age, but it PISSES me off to no end that I have to manage my 12 year olds curiosity due to trust issues.  And the sad part is he is not really a bad kid - guess I am just old school sigh.

SteveInWA

Well, this is a tech support forum for OBi devices, not a parenting site, and I don't have kids, so all I can say is, trust wins out over prohibition.  Good luck.

And, speaking of tech support, take a look at the kid's Chromebook to see if you can customize his DNS settings.  I don't have any experience with managed Chromebooks, to know the extent to which they lock them down, but I am typing this on my personal, unmanaged CB, and of course, I can set the DNS to whatever I wish.

SteveInWA

Oh, and before you waste any time trying to make it work, anything to do with openDNS will not work with your OBi device.

jtkleinoh

thanks so much for replying to begin with!  so far, I had to add the obi device ip as a trusted ip in the blocked sites portion of my router.  without that it was not going through.  so at least for that portion of the config, i can have my cake and eat it too.

jtkleinoh

and the openDNS parental controls are now re-enabled with everything obi wise working great!
so the openDNS must just be provided for Netgear in the parental control area...