News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Factory reset and OBi Expert reset don't remove GV from OBi100

Started by DaveTap, January 06, 2016, 03:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveTap

About 5 years ago... shortly after I bought my second OBi100 or 110 I wanted to be able to share my googlevoice number with 2 of them (or forward from 1 to the other) and followed a procedure to do it. I had already configured several additional service providers and PBXes accounts for making international calls following another tutorial. Since then the OBi 200 and 202 have come out with the ability to share GV and I've been enjoying them, but I'd like to give my original OBi100 to a retired friend.
   The problem is that a factory reset and even OBi Expert reset does not completely remove my GV... the reset and reconfigured and later reset unconfigured box still rings when my GV number is called. Any idea how to fix that without closing my gmail account? I've checked all my PBXes logs and removed all my obi sub-PBXes so I don't think its coming through there but I'm at a loss to figure out how google can still find it.

drgeoff

When you reset the device and reboot it,  auto provisioning from the Obitalk portal will be in effect and reload settings  from there.

Delete the device from your Dashboard and then factory reset it.

DaveTap

DaveTap

of note: OBi100 is currently reset to factory... it is not attached to any ObiTalk account. It has dial tone and if I dial out it says no service provider, but if I call my GV number it rings and I can pick it up.

SteveInWA

Quote from: DaveTap on January 06, 2016, 06:24:14 PM
of note: OBi100 is currently reset to factory... it is not attached to any ObiTalk account. It has dial tone and if I dial out it says no service provider, but if I call my GV number it rings and I can pick it up.

That's impossible, unless you have set up some other OBi device to fork (forward) inbound calls to the OBi number of the OBi 100.

azrobert

Look at the call history to see the origin of the call.

To access Call History:
Log directly into the OBi100 using the local interface.
Key the IP address of the OBi into a Web Browser.
Hit Enter
The UserID and default Password are both "admin".
Click Status on the left column then click Call History.

azrobert

How are you doing a factory reset?
Are you pressing the reset button on the bottom of the device with a paper clip?

SteveInWA

I guarantee that this is being caused by forwarding one of your other OBi's calls to the OBi in question.

Think about it:  if the OBi has been factory-reset, then there is only one way that it can receive calls:  over the OBiTALK network.  OBi devices can do this even if they're not added to a portal account.

Looking at your posting history, you've got a bunch of OBis, you've made various advanced changes, and you've lost track of what you did.

See this link.

DaveTap

Quote from: azrobert on January 06, 2016, 07:25:13 PM
How are you doing a factory reset?
Are you pressing the reset button on the bottom of the device with a paper clip?

I've done reset all 3 ways... from the phone attached to OBi ***8 then 1, from web interface, and press and hold the reset button while powered on.

DaveTap

Quote from: drgeoff on January 06, 2016, 04:17:57 PM
When you reset the device and reboot it,  auto provisioning from the Obitalk portal will be in effect and reload settings  from there.

Delete the device from your Dashboard and then factory reset it.
Did that first as always.
According to web interface it wasn't provisioned... even reset user/password back to admin.

Its been provisioned to at least 2 other accounts neither of which knows my GV number... but still rings whenever my GV number is called even though both SP1 and SP2 are blank and as far as I can tell all the other.

Even now unprovisioned if I call my GV from any number the phone attached to the OBi rings...

drgeoff

There is reality.  There is your perception of that reality. There is your narration of your perception.

Normally the second accords wirh the first of those and the third accords with the second.

This is one of those situations where at least one of those does not apply.

DaveTap

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 06, 2016, 07:46:28 PM
I guarantee that this is being caused by forwarding one of your other OBi's calls to the OBi in question.

Think about it:  if the OBi has been factory-reset, then there is only one way that it can receive calls:  over the OBiTALK network.  OBi devices can do this even if they're not added to a portal account.

Looking at your posting history, you've got a bunch of OBis, you've made various advanced changes, and you've lost track of what you did.

See this link.

Hi SteveInWa,
Yes I thought that too... but none of my 200 series have been modified or set to forward and all the 100 series were removed from my accounts, then reset, and set up for other friends/family... so my GV shouldn't be provisioned on them, and therefore not able to forward.
I removed all OBis from circles of trust on all accounts (I used to use that to monitor if OBis were on or offline)

The last thought I had was maybe the 110 that logs into OBiTalk with that gmail address might somehow access the GV but it uses a different password than my Gmail (and GV) and has 2 other providers provisioned so I hit Delete Device and removed the 110 from that OBi account... I even unplugged it... but GV still rings the unprovisioned OBi100.
Call logs only show the number of whichever phone I call GV from... (not an OBi number that might be forwarding)

The only thing I can think of now is that somehow one of the PBXes accounts is forwarding them somehow as a subPBX or something but as much as I had wanted and tried I was never able to get that feature to work before. I've gone though all those settings and don't see any problems and my GV is not provisioned on any of those OBis  anyway, and none of the other GV numbers make this OBi ring.

Any more ideas? I'm completely lost now.

azrobert

Did you look at the OBi100 call history like I suggested in reply#5?
If you did, what does it show?
It should give a hint where the call is coming from.

SteveInWA

Quote from: DaveTap on January 07, 2016, 12:30:19 PM

See this link.

Hi SteveInWa,
Yes I thought that too... but none of my 200 series have been modified or set to forward and all the 100 series were removed from my accounts, then reset, and set up for other friends/family... so my GV shouldn't be provisioned on them, and therefore not able to forward.
I removed all OBis from circles of trust on all accounts (I used to use that to monitor if OBis were on or offline)

The last thought I had was maybe the 110 that logs into OBiTalk with that gmail address might somehow access the GV but it uses a different password than my Gmail (and GV) and has 2 other providers provisioned so I hit Delete Device and removed the 110 from that OBi account... I even unplugged it... but GV still rings the unprovisioned OBi100.
Call logs only show the number of whichever phone I call GV from... (not an OBi number that might be forwarding)

The only thing I can think of now is that somehow one of the PBXes accounts is forwarding them somehow as a subPBX or something but as much as I had wanted and tried I was never able to get that feature to work before. I've gone though all those settings and don't see any problems and my GV is not provisioned on any of those OBis  anyway, and none of the other GV numbers make this OBi ring.

This isn't rocket science.  After you factory reset your OBi, you removed all service providers from it...except one:  OBiTALK.  It is f'ing impossible for Google Voice to forward calls to the device directly.

Look at the OBi's own internal call log, like Robert said.  It will show the ID of the calling device.

Find that OBi number on your OBiTALK portal or just turn over the boxes and look at the number printed on the bottom.

That device is forwarding the calls to your reset device.

DaveTap

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 07, 2016, 04:27:33 PM
Quote from: DaveTap on January 07, 2016, 12:30:19 PM

See this link.

Hi SteveInWa,

This isn't rocket science.  After you factory reset your OBi, you removed all service providers from it...except one:  OBiTALK.  It is f'ing impossible for Google Voice to forward calls to the device directly.

Look at the OBi's own internal call log, like Robert said.  It will show the ID of the calling device.

Find that OBi number on your OBiTALK portal or just turn over the boxes and look at the number printed on the bottom.

That device is forwarding the calls to your reset device.
I agree... but the call logs only show caller ID of the phone calling... 11 digits starting with a 1 and of course that is not an OBi number which has 9 digits usually starting with 3 for 100 series or 5 for 200 series (or 290 for soft phone)

I just tried checking an active call... which also just got me an IP address... IP search shows WOW cable Glenview IL and yes I have an OBi202 on WOW's system attached to that GV number so I checked it out
Removing GV from that OBi stopped the ringing, but I don't think I did any customizing on that OBi202... just stock dialing patterns. Now I'll have to dig... Thanks

drgeoff

DaveTap

Quote from: azrobert on January 07, 2016, 03:35:56 PM
Did you look at the OBi100 call history like I suggested in reply#5?
If you did, what does it show?
It should give a hint where the call is coming from.

Call history only shows caller ID from my cell phone or the person calling my GV, However during a call the "Call Status" may show an IP address of "Peer" which in this case shows where the forwarding originated.

DaveTap

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 08, 2016, 02:18:33 PM
This might explain what happened.
Pretty close... that's what happened after I changed cell phone service... poor lady was assigned my old number a few days later but I had forgotten to turn off GV forwarding. One day a friend of mine happened to get her while trying to call me... She was almost in tears telling him "Dave isn't here... Please stop calling this number."
Luckily for her he mentioned it to me so I knew to change settings.

Finally found the problem... Inbound call rule was actually set on all 4 providers in that 202.
Still don't remember doing it though.
Thanks for the idea about the call logs at least it got me thinking and helped me guess "Call Status" might help me narrow down the culprit... otherwise I'd be digging though settings in a dozen OBis spread all over the U.S. and Mexico.

SteveInWA

Quote from: DaveTap on January 08, 2016, 02:58:59 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on January 08, 2016, 02:18:33 PM
This might explain what happened.

Still don't remember doing it though.

So, it happened the same way Bristol Palin mysteriously got pregnant again, after insisting she was "practicing abstinence"...