News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help. google voice for small business.

Started by just, August 29, 2016, 10:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just

Help.

We have Obi1062 and trying gv for our sip.

Now I am new to GV and ran into problem that GV only allows 2 incoming calls or 2 callings in and out same time and the next call while we are using sent to Voicemail right away.

Is it always like this?  is there anyway to make calls come through?  I have 3 ohi1062 and plan to purchase more.  But this makes me think twice.

any help would be wonderful.

Thank you all.

SteveInWA

Google Voice is not a SIP trunk provider.  It's an inbound call forwarding and message management system, designed for personal/individual use.  It doesn't have business-class features, and no, it doesn't support multiple "channels" for multiple inbound calls.

Use any of the many SIP VoIP service providers that work with OBi products.  Setting up a cloud-based VoIP solution to use with OBi IP phones is easy, and provides the most flexibility for as-needed service expansion or change.

azrobert

OBi devices limit the number of simultaneous calls for any provider. The OBi1xx and OBi2xx have a default of 2. My OBi1032 has a default of 4. Your 1062 should also be 4. These defaults can be changed.
Use OBi Expert to check the value here:
Voice Services -> SPx Service -> MaxSessions

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on August 29, 2016, 11:34:51 PM
OBi devices limit the number of simultaneous calls for any provider. The OBi1xx and OBi2xx have a default of 2. My OBi1032 has a default of 4. Your 1062 should also be 4. These defaults can be changed.
Use OBi Expert to check the value here:
Voice Services -> SPx Service -> MaxSessions

Read the OP.  The question was about Google Voice.  GV doesn't meet this user's needs.  Specifically, it isn't a multi-channel trunk provider, nor does it support hunt groups.

azrobert

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 30, 2016, 01:01:44 AM
Read the OP.  The question was about Google Voice.  GV doesn't meet this user's needs.  Specifically, it isn't a multi-channel trunk provider, nor does it support hunt groups.

Read my post. Did I say anything about GoogleVoice? You suggested "Use any of the many SIP VoIP service providers that work with OBi products". The OP will have problems with any provider if MaxSessions is not set properly.

You said:
QuoteSpecifically, it isn't a multi-channel trunk provider

This is not true. A long time ago I successfully got 3 simultaneous calls, 1 inbound and 2 outbound to work on a single GV trunk defined on an OBi200. I didn't say anything in my post last night because I didn't know if things have changed and didn't feel like testing. I just tested 2 simultaneous inbound calls on a single GV trunk and it worked. I routed 1 call to a Raspbx extension based on callerid and the other routed to the phone port.

Edit:
I tried 3 inbound calls and the 3rd went to VM, so it looks like the limit is 2 simultaneous inbound calls for GV. I suppose 2 calls work because GV supports call waiting.

azrobert

I did some additional testing and GV supports 2 channels in any combination. 2 inbound, 2 outbound or 1 inbound and 1 outbound.

I tried 1 inbound and 2 outbound and it seemed to work, but when I looked at the call status the 2nd outbound failed over to my backup trunk. Trunk Groups do work. In my last post I said I previously tested 1 in and 2 out and it worked. I probably had the same result and didn't realize the 3rd call failed over.

restamp

This is interesting:  About a month ago, I tried the same tests on a GV trunk connected to an Asterisk server with the following results:

+ Like Robert, GV allowed me 2 incoming calls; the third went to voicemail.

+ Unlike Robert, I was able to place 3 outbound calls on a GV trunk; the fourth was rejected every time.

+ However, GV did not seem to like simultaneous multiple call setup attempts on the same GV trunk.  If I waited until the call was fully set up, I could reliably place a 2nd, and then a 3rd call, but if I tried placing two or three calls in quick succession, the second would often fail and the third would usually fail.

+ I did not test whether an inbound call counted against the outbound limit, but I suspect it does.  I have been going by the algorithm that a GV trunk will support up to three simultaneous calls, two of which can be incoming.

(FWIW, figuring out what numbers  to use to conduct the outbound test at 2 AM was not trivial.  It seems movie theaters have moved away from providing feature and show time information via phone, and now presume people will instead just check the Internet.  In the end, I managed to find some numbers out west with pre-recorded weather info that ran long enough to permit me to run the tests.)