News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

DTMF Troubles

Started by TeganB, November 26, 2016, 12:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeganB

So, I have an obi 200 and I currently have it running my primary GV account as SP1. The phone I have attached is a rotary phone with a rotatone module from old phone works, a Canadian-based company.The module reads the rotary dial's pulses and then emits the corresponding DTMF tone down the phone line. I'm having no issues when dialing numbers on the obi (as long as I'm quick enough, any way to add more delay before it starts dialing?). When I say I'm not having issues, I mean to say that the obi has no trouble recognizing all the tones emitted from the phone; it doesn't miss any digits. However, when I connect to some automated phone systems, the systems seem to have trouble receiving all my DTMF inputs. It will skip digits, sometimes requiring I input it multiple times.
The rotary phone will work on these systems with no problems on my home phone line, and my TT phone works just fine on these systems through my obi.
I'm curious as to what settings I should adjust to look for any improvement. Should I try raising the DTMF playback level? Should I change the DTMF transfer method from auto to in-band, or another option? If anyone has any ideas for my trouble shooting, let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

SteveInWA

Congratulations on figuring out how to install the Rotatone; it can be a head-scratcher on a really old phone, especially if the dial assembly was replaced with a different generation unit.  I have one in a 1947 WE 203 phone.

I'm not actually using it with an OBi, but Sunday, I can test it out for you on my OBi.  Meanwhile, you could try changing DTMF to in-band; it won't hurt anything.

Newbie issue:  to change any "expert mode" setting, you must clear both check-boxes before editing will be enabled.  Click the submit button at the bottom of the page and wait a couple minutes for the OBi to remotely reboot.