News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2-line phone

Started by rpankoe, July 26, 2011, 11:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpankoe

I have a 2-line phone that I want to be able to use with my 2 google voice accounts.  How can I set this up so that I can dial-out on line 1 with SP1 and dial out on line 2 with SP2 with the physical buttons of my 2-line phone?  It seems that when I hit line 2 right now, the OBI110 is not connecting to the 2nd wire pair for the line2.

I would also like it if I could set it up so that only one google voice account will ring my phones connected to the PHONE port.  I would like the 2nd google voice account to ring the LINE port so that I can use it for an incoming/outgoing fax line through that port and the 2nd google voice number.

RonR

The OBi does not support multi-line telephone devices.  The OBi PHONE Port supports single-line telephone devices only.

The OBi cannot ring the LINE Port.  The LINE Port is an FXO port and can only receive incoming calls or make outgoing calls.

rpankoe

If this does not support the 2nd phone line, are there other known devices that work with 2 google voice accounts to use them as 2 separate lines like I'm seeking?  Does anyone know any that will work?

RonR

I believe the OBi is the only standalone ATA type device currently available with native Google Voice support.

lhm.

Buy an Obi100 (on Sale for $39.95 till 7/31) for line2 and use a 2 line splitter to connect both Obi's. 

rpankoe

Not sure I understand what the 2 line splitter would do?  If I put 2 Obi devices into 2 ethernet ports, then I would have 2 phone ports basically between the two devices, each setup with only 1 account.  That seems like that would work.  what about the splitter?  The 2-line phone has an input for Line 1 and another for Line 2, so that may work.  I was also looking at the Cisco SPA2102 and using a SIP gateway service like sipsourcery.  Maybe that would work too?

lhm.

Yes an ATA (other than another Obi) and Sipsorcery would work for your fax setup. It does for me.

rpankoe

Good to know.  Will I be able to use the SPA2102 and sipsorcery with 2 google accounts (thus 2 google voice numbers) with the free sipsorcery account?  Do you know how I would set this up in the SPA2102?

RonR

Quote from: rpankoe on July 26, 2011, 02:28:51 PM
Not sure I understand what the 2 line splitter would do?  If I put 2 Obi devices into 2 ethernet ports, then I would have 2 phone ports basically between the two devices, each setup with only 1 account.  That seems like that would work.  what about the splitter?  The 2-line phone has an input for Line 1 and another for Line 2, so that may work.  I was also looking at the Cisco SPA2102 and using a SIP gateway service like sipsourcery.  Maybe that would work too?

Since your two-line telephone has separate jacks for Line 1 and Line 2, you don't need a splitter.

It's possible to use an external SIP device/service with the OBi, but SP1 and/or SP2 must be configured for SIP to do so.  This precludes having two Google Voice accounts configured on the OBi.

You could put two Google Voice accounts on Sip Sorcery and use a two-line ATA, but Sip Sorcery is not a plug-and-play service.  It usually requires getting involved in writing Ruby scripts, which can be somewhat difficult if you're not accustomed to programming languages.

rpankoe

I'm wondering..  It looks like I have to also get a SipGate account to make this work with another ATA link the Linksys.  When I dial-out via the ATA, do I get charged Sipgate rate, or Google Voice rates?  In this case, to get the 2nd line working, would it be best to just get another Obi100 device?  I'd like to keep it all in 1 device with the SPA2102 (with 2 phone ports), but I can't seem to find specifics to set this unit up and use google voice for calling out from an analog phone plugged into it, as well as receive calls (to/from my 2 google voice numbers).

In addition to this, Sipgate no longer has any numbers available, so I'm not sure where to go from here..

RonR

As Sip Sorcery configuration is not related to the OBi, it's probably best that such discussions be conducted on the Sip Sorcery forum.

Two OBi's would allow you connect separate telephones (and/or a two-line telephone) to two Google Voice accounts and allow both to be used concurrently.  You could even put two Google Voice accounts on each OBi and have access to all four accounts from the two telephones:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1103.0

mikel

Does the OBI110 connect the wires from line 2 of the incoming RJ11 LINE port to the outgoing PHONE jack? If I recall they are the yellow and black in a standard telco configuration.

I have a two line phone and want to use the OBI for line 1 and then just pass the POTS line through the OBI (electrically by hard connection, not electronically in any way) on line 2.

If not then I guess a couple of splitters (to split and rejoin the four wires) would be needed.

RonR

Quote from: mikel on December 18, 2011, 07:16:11 AM
Does the OBI110 connect the wires from line 2 of the incoming RJ11 LINE port to the outgoing PHONE jack? If I recall they are the yellow and black in a standard telco configuration.

I don't believe the LINE and PHONE Port jacks on the OBi have the line 2 contacts (yellow+black) connected.