News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New OBI 1.3 release... is it really ready this time, or keep waiting?

Started by SeaObi, September 29, 2011, 08:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaObi

Any advice from the Obi Gurus out there about whether this new Obi release 1.3 is safe to load this time or not?  The last time it was available it was gone in a few days because apparently some serious bugs hadn't been caught.  Although there are some interesting new features, I'm a little gun shy now especially since the Obi people say there's no way to downgrade once you upgrade to Obi release 1.3.

Ostracus

Well I've update both so I'll see if they're any issues but one curious thing. Incoming calls in call history were Line 1 to Phone 1. Now it's ParkingLot 1 (WTF?) to Phone 1.

AndyJ

I noticed that change in call history upon upgrading to the previous 1.3.0 release; however, new calls were logged properly. I'm guessing that the values are stored numerically or symbolically, and the mapping to the actual text value to be displayed has changed in 1.3.0. (That is, "3" mapped to "SP2" in 1.2.x, but now maps to "ParkingLot1" or whatever odd value).

tome

So I upgraded a while back and both my boxes have 1.3.0 (Build: 2532).  When I look in this thread:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0  I see that the build is at 2575 and yet the Enhancement and Fixes section lists no fixes.  Are there no bug fixes in 2575 from 2532 - just additional features?

Where is the Build 2532 release information (like Enhancements and Fixes)?

Tom

AndyJ

2532 never got past "preview" status, while 2575 is the official release. The enhancements shown in 2575 were actually available in 2532, but 2575 is supposed to fix some issues that users were experiencing with 2532. (In other words, the enhancements/fixes list only shows changes since the previous official release, and does not include preview releases).

But, yes, this release only lists the enhancements, and doesn't list fixes, although I know there are some since it fixed a specific issue that I was seeing.

tome

Quote from: AndyJ on September 30, 2011, 05:34:51 AM
2532 never got past "preview" status, while 2575 is the official release. The enhancements shown in 2575 were actually available in 2532, but 2575 is supposed to fix some issues that users were experiencing with 2532. (In other words, the enhancements/fixes list only shows changes since the previous official release, and does not include preview releases).

But, yes, this release only lists the enhancements, and doesn't list fixes, although I know there are some since it fixed a specific issue that I was seeing.

Thanks.  At the risk of stating the obvious, shouldn't bug fixes be listed?  I can't think of a single preview or beta release I have been involved in that didn't list known and fixed bugs in release information...
Tom

RonR

tome,

Obihai has never provided a real changelog with any firmware release.

tome

Ideasmiths

Possible minor bug, updating 1.3 2575 mess up factory configuration.

I have 2x Obi110, one in the office and one at home. Both are updated to version 1.3 build 2532 and have working setup.

Over the weekend, I noticed that there was a new version and I upgrade to version 1.3 build 2575 and suddenly all my calls out using the Line to my PSTN service reported 'number not in use', or there will be busy tone. Just before updating the firmware I was using it and the dial out were okay.

After checking through all the configuration, changed a few, rebooted 10 times, I couldn't solve the problem. So I tried to disconnect the physical phone and noticed that even with the phone disconnected, the Obi110 LED still shows connected. Using this hint, i plug the phone back and listened to the dial tone and it was emitting some strange buzzing sound.

I used the web panel to reset the phone to factory setting and then reentered my working configuration settings. From then on, the dial out worked as per normal. However, now plugging in the phone the LED is 'off' and only lights up after >2 minutes.

Maybe there is bug in the updating operation.

Come monday I will update the firmware of the Obi110 in the office and see if it repeats itself. In the mean time, those who encountered weird changes with 1.3 2575 may want to consider backing up the working configuration and do a factory reset.

Ostracus

There's another thing I've noticed. Is anyone occasionally getting locked out of the web interface and have to power cycle the unit? I hope Obihai implemented a watchdog timer otherwise remote units are going to be a pain.

tome

Quote from: Ostracus on October 02, 2011, 02:03:47 PM
There's another thing I've noticed. Is anyone occasionally getting locked out of the web interface and have to power cycle the unit? I hope Obihai implemented a watchdog timer otherwise remote units are going to be a pain.

I haven't noticed any problem like that.  I have a remote unit and haven't touched it since I installed it. My local unit has been stable as well.  I have both my units set to use static addresses.  Are yours doing DHCP for an address?  If so, your issues could be related to ip address lease expiring and not being renewed (or such).

Tom

QBZappy

It seems this firmware is not yet ready for prime time. It this post reports that it  breaks the Callback feature. Maybe other issues as well. Too soon to tell.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1643.msg10543#new
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.