News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google 2-Factor Authentication

Started by srhuston, February 18, 2011, 07:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srhuston

I was about to setup the 2-factor authentication for my Google account, when I thought about the possibility of this causing a conflict with the OBI110 I'm waiting to order (those trucks can't get to Amazon fast enough :> )

Has anyone set it up and tried it?  Does anyone have the patience to do so and report back what might happen?  They mention something about getting a one-time password for things like phones and other devices, I don't know if that means you'd be able to generate a special password for the OBI110 to connect and still be OK.  And obviously without one in my hand I can't experiment yet.

extesnion23

It works.  You just have to setup an application specific password.  See this post:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=376.msg2023#msg2023

ldkronos

I just wanted to post that, even if you don't want to use the 2-factor authentication, the application specific passwords is a great idea to use. What makes it nice is that your obi device has a different password to use than your primary password. This is nice because if you ever change your password (either periodically, or because you think it may have been compromised), your obi device is using a different password and will not need to be reprogrammed. It's one less thing to worry about.

If you want to use the application specific passwords but not 2-factor authentication, what you have to do is turn on 2-factor authentication, setup the application specific passwords, and then turn off 2-factor authentication. Your application specific passwords will continue to function.