News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

EOL for OBi 200, 202 and 212

Started by SteveInWA, December 18, 2021, 06:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simpleAnswers

Thanks for that info.

I'm just going to get the VVX 250 phone and park it in the corner.
The day that Google does something and it won't update anymore is the day I'll forward my number to a different phone and then tackle this beast. If it turns out that nothing works then I'll figure something new out as I always do.

I'll not be surprised if Google pulls the Obi server end of 2023. Afterall on the Google voice for Workspace, the first tier doesn't even allow deskphones or ATA's which is shocking considering that is a paid offering that you can only get by first paying for Google workspace and then paying separately for Google voice for workspace. So I don't see them allowing Deskphone or ATA's on the free offering from Obi for too long.

Taoman

Quote from: simpleAnswers on September 25, 2023, 09:21:06 AMI'll not be surprised if Google pulls the Obi server end of 2023. Afterall on the Google voice for Workspace, the first tier doesn't even allow deskphones or ATA's which is shocking considering that is a paid offering that you can only get by first paying for Google workspace and then paying separately for Google voice for workspace. So I don't see them allowing Deskphone or ATA's on the free offering from Obi for too long.

Yeah, if Google gets rid of the obihai.sip.google.com server then the days of a direct connection to Google Voice will likely be over.

However, there are some workarounds. For inbound, forward from GV to a cheap Voip provider DID (like Callcentric for unlimited inbound $1/month) and azrobert's AutoHotKey script for outbound if you're running Windows. I've been running azrobert's ahk script for a few months and it works perfectly.
azrobert's ahk script

edwardhicks

I'll forward my number to a another phone and take on this beast the day Google does anything and it stops updating. As always, I'll come up with a fresh solution if nothing else seems to work.

nvrpayretail

I'm just going to use an old cellphone to run the google voice app on wifi and use a bluetooth cell to landline adapter I found on Amazon. Easy solution.

bluechip

I've been using Cell2Jack for the past 2 years and am very satisfied with this product. It works well. Reliable. No problems. See my YouTube review, "Tips Before Buying Cell2Jack".
https://youtu.be/EkYiyWVCSm0?si=FZm6mSWTzzgcHTiq

:D

SteveInWA

Quote from: simpleAnswers on September 24, 2023, 06:14:50 AMOk, like most of us here, I'm late to the party and have been trying to figure out what my options are. Unfortunately I'm still not clear as to the path forward and would like to get real answers or suggestions.

Please if you're not going to be providing a solution or suggestion then please don't post your unhelpful response

History:
Got a GV number back when it first came out over 11 years ago.
Also Got the the Google Workspace back when it first started for my small business.
When Google Workspace became paid, I transitioned to Google Workspace Started Edition and have been paying for that.
I've been using GV since Day 1 via the consumer edition I believe. Strangely enough I was able to change the GV email to one of the Workspace accounts, but it still remained as a free GV account (i.e consumer version).
I've used the Obi1x and Obi2x and subsequently Obi1032 deskphones which work great.
Because of the good advice here I've worked out that I have a "World between Worlds" GV account.
It is configured in my Google Workspace using one of the users emails, but it is technically still the consumer version. It took me a while to figure that part out.
In other to have full Google Workspace Voice, I would have to port it out of the grandfathered GV into the Google Workspace Voice version.
I have no problem using the Google Workspace Voice devices from Poly
Here is what I found out, That I need to start a "Google Workspace Voice" subscription to be able to do that. Looking at GV sites mentioned here it has to be "Google Voice Standard $20/month" version.

My Question then is
What Poly Devices will work with Workspace Google Voice post EOL because in looking at the page on Google for Voice Devices that work it says "Google Voice supports OBi Edition firmware only. When you purchase Poly desk phones to use with Google Voice, request OBi Edition firmware for the devices." Hence my question as to if any devices will even work with Workspace Google Voice?

If I can't use any deskphones with Workspace Google Voice reliably post EOL, then what are my options to keep my number and use a deskphone from another SIP provider. Can I use any other SIP deskphones and port my GV number to another provider? How easy would that be to setup. I've seen other services mentioned here e.g Callcentric. Does anyone know what steps/how easy it is to set those up with a deskphone?

Thirdly, I like GV primarily because of the ability to receive instant emails of MISSED CALLS, TEXT, and VOICEMAIL transcriptions. Does any other SIP service have these 3 features?

Sorry for the long explanation, but I wanted to be sure before I switch to Workspace GV and buy any more devices

Thanks

This has been answered many times in this forum, but specific to your question about phones for (paid) Google Voice for Google Workspace, if you want an IP phone, buy a Poly Edge B series (I have a B30).  The VVX series are nearing EOL, and they are overkill for Workspace GV, since it can only have one phone number on one phone for one user.  The Edge B models are significantly cheaper, and have a primitive LCD display, but otherwise have the same great audio quality as the prior models.

If you want an ATA, wait a bit longer until the Poly 400/402 series ATAs are available for sale; they are the replacement for all of the earlier ATAs (and before some numbnuts asks, no; they will not work with consumer Google Voice; just Workspace).

OCDude

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 11, 2023, 05:11:05 PMIf you want an ATA, wait a bit longer until the Poly 400/402 series ATAs are available for sale; they are the replacement for all of the earlier ATAs (and before some numbnuts asks, no; they will not work with consumer Google Voice; just Workspace).

Steve - so if I wait for the Poly 400/402 series ATA, can I get the Google Workspace $6 plan and plug in my old wireless handset with the answering machine and it will work like the OBI 200/202 model did? Sorry I don't know that much about phone stuff.

SteveInWA

There are two different monthly charges:  you need a paid subscription to Google Workspace (think of it as analogous to Microsoft 365 -- a suite of cloud-based services and applications), and you need a subscription (license) to use Google Voice for Google Workspace.  The cheapest per-user price for Google Voice, on top of the base subscription for Workspace, is $10/month.

Juicer

Quote from: nvrpayretail on November 02, 2023, 11:36:15 AMI'm just going to use an old cellphone to run the google voice app on wifi and use a bluetooth cell to landline adapter I found on Amazon. Easy solution.
What specific bluetooth to landline adapter are you using?
I have a Panasonic Link2Cell phone system.
Using an old Moto X4 cell phone, no cell service active, I have that phone linked and listed under GVoice to ring. Cell phone works for incoming and outgoing calls.
Panasonic handset works for incoming calls but outgoing calls from the Panasonic handset (selecting Moto X4) doesn't seem to work. Just gives a couple of beeps.
If I select the other linked cell phone that has cell service active, it works as expected.
The Moto X4 gives a message "Cellular network not available" and outgoing calls from the Panasonic handset don't go through.

drgeoff

Quote from: Juicer on December 04, 2023, 07:21:34 AMIf I select the other linked cell phone that has cell service active, it works as expected.
"Works as expected" means what?  Which of:

1.  Cellular voice
2.  GV app over cellular data
3.  GV app over Wi-Fi and internet.

Juicer

Quote from: drgeoff on December 04, 2023, 12:30:55 PM
Quote from: Juicer on December 04, 2023, 07:21:34 AMIf I select the other linked cell phone that has cell service active, it works as expected.

1.  Cellular voice
If I select my Pixel 3A which has active cell service via MVNO Red Pocket, the call is completed. If I select Moto X which only has wifi GVoice (no cell service just GV app over wifi and internet) the outgoing call from Panasonic Link2Cell is not completed.
Sorry I am somewhat confused so, so is my answer?

drgeoff

Quote from: Juicer on December 04, 2023, 01:40:39 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on December 04, 2023, 12:30:55 PM

1.  Cellular voice
If I select my Pixel 3A which has active cell service via MVNO Red Pocket, the call is completed. If I select Moto X which only has wifi GVoice (no cell service just GV app over wifi and internet) the outgoing call from Panasonic Link2Cell is not completed.
Sorry I am somewhat confused so, so is my answer?
You failed to answer my question.

Juicer

Did a factory reset: press all together 159* hold until beep. remove and replace battery.
Next I added the 2 cell phones anew and everything now "works as expected."

Jackson

Well my 2 GV numbers quit working.  At the portal they had some error message. can't remember it exactly.  So I went to the Callcentric #  I have and chose it for outgoing calls. 'Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Phone 1.'  After saving I now see my GV numbers as 'Connected'.  Tried them with my cell and was able to call and receive on both numbers.
obi still JPG.JPG

Confused.

ByeByeOBi

I am prepared for the Obi200 end of life.  My configuration is one GV line, 2 Callcentric lines.  I use Callcentric for incoming calls, one for people in my contacts, one for others, so I get a different ringtone for calls from people I don't know.

In the future, when GV outgoing calls stop working, I will just need to flip the default outgoing line to one my Callcentric ones or use **2 to make calls.

I can manage the device locally, but have a couple of questions concerning the EOL.

How should I configure the OBi200 to not accept OBiTalk updates and prepare it for the ObiTalk servers going away?

edit: This is what I did:

System Management | Auto Provisioning | Auto Firmware Update: Method: Disabled
    System Management | Auto Provisioning | ITSP Provisioning: Method: Disabled
    System Management | Auto Provisioning | LUA Script Update: Method: Disabled
    System Management | Auto Provisioning | OBiTALK Provisioning: Method: Disabled
    Voice Services | OBiTALK Service | Enable: (Unchecked)

Note: I did not remove the device from ObiTalk, but it says that it is Offline, so that is good.

How can I flip the default outgoing line (I can probably find this in the forums, but can I before they go away too)?

Physical Interfaces | PHONE 1 Port | Primary Line: SPx Service

Can I change the default username and password for local management?  I tried, but it didn't seem to stick.

edit: This is what I did after disabling obitalk
    System Management | Device Admin | Web Server: AdminPassword: *
    System Management | Device Admin | Web Server: UserPassword: *

Thank you all for your contributions over they years.

SteveInWA

Quote from: ByeByeOBi on December 12, 2023, 07:41:33 AMI am prepared for the Obi200 end of life.  My configuration is one GV line, 2 Callcentric lines.  I use Callcentric for incoming calls, one for people in my contacts, one for others, so I get a different ringtone for calls from people I don't know.

In the future, when GV outgoing calls stop working, I will just need to flip the default outgoing line to one my Callcentric ones or use **2 to make calls.

I can manage the device locally, but have a couple of questions concerning the EOL.

How should I configure the OBi200 to not accept OBiTalk updates and prepare it for the ObiTalk servers going away?

Note: I did not remove the device from ObiTalk, but it says that it is Offline, so that is good.

How can I flip the default outgoing line (I can probably find this in the forums, but can I before they go away too)?

Can I change the default username and password for local management?  I tried, but it didn't seem to stick.

It's amusing that you answered all of your own questions, and yes; your steps were correct, so it's essentially a FAQ!

mo832

Quote from: ByeByeOBi on December 12, 2023, 07:41:33 AMI am prepared for the Obi200 end of life.  My configuration is one GV line, 2 Callcentric lines.  I use Callcentric for incoming calls, one for people in my contacts, one for others, so I get a different ringtone for calls from people I don't know.

Is it necessary to disable the Obitalk updates if there won't be any, anyway?

I am set up with GV on sp1 and sp2 for outgoing on 2 different lines, and have both incoming lines directed to sp3 on Callcentric. When GV + Obi stops working for outgoing (that day will surely come at some point), I assumed that I could keep my GV as is for incoming call forwarding, and I just need to use an alternate dialing method to dial out from my GV number (web callback for now).

If I simply do nothing, will anything ruin the above plan? It seems like the only thing that would be removed is the ability to direct dial out from the Obi-connected handset over the GV phone number. Is there more potential damage if I don't manually make the changes above?

drgeoff

If everything is working now, you don't lose anything by setting 'Obitalk Provisioning' to 'Disabled' now.  If you don't change that setting there is the (probably extremely small) risk that the Obitalk server in its death throes somehow corrupts the settings in your OBi.

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on December 20, 2023, 10:20:54 AMIf everything is working now, you don't lose anything by setting 'Obitalk Provisioning' to 'Disabled' now.  If you don't change that setting there is the (probably extremely small) risk that the Obitalk server in its death throes somehow corrupts the settings in your OBi.
^^This^^

I've disabled everything except the OBiTALK Service. That way I can still see the connection status of my 4 trunks at a glance.

I also have 2 200's where I disabled everything and removed them from the OBiTALK dashboard. They are my backup devices and a single registration to Anveo.

Juicer

I have a 202 and am concerned about doomsday but don't see where I can make changes and disabling as described above. I see no option on my dashboard.