News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outgoing Calls Using GV - Receiver Can't Hear Anything

Started by leebo, January 17, 2012, 12:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leebo

I am creating a new thread, because at least one other thread I found with very similar issues (http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1130.0) was marked FIXED.

Also, in that thread it was never resolved whether the culprit was GV or the Obi.

In my experience, this is a GV or Google Talk issue. Here's why:

Before I bought my Obi 100, I used my PC with a mike and speakers to make calls using Google Talk. Sometimes, when I placed the call, the person on the other end couldn't hear anything and would hang up. This issue has continued since buying and setting up my Obi to work with Google Talk/GV.

This only happens on OUTGOING calls, never on incoming.

Although my Sprint cell is associated with my GV account, I never use the Android GV app to place calls. Although incoming calls to my cell are coming from GV (the caller called my GV number), I never have the issue with incoming calls. So I never have the problem when using my cell phone.

It continues to happen with the Obi using GV/Google Talk.

Router brand does not seem to matter as I have used two or three different routers from different manufacturers since obtaining my Obi.

I have noticed when calling a number (outgoing call) with an automated response, where I have to press a certain number to choose an option, my button presses are ignored if that particular call is experiencing the issue. I have confirmed this by waiting for the call to be transfered to a live individual, who cannot hear me once he answers.

It happens inconsistently. I never reboot the Obi, I just hang up and call back and the new call is good. When the other person does hear me, call quality is typically good. Rarely has the other party complained about low volume or break up.

*Note: this may or may not be related, but my mom uses an Ooma device. I connected it to her router on her DSL line. No ports are forwarded. It does NOT use GV/Google Talk and she never has any of these issues.

RonR

The real test to determine if it's a router issue is to temporarily bypass your router and see if the problem goes away.

Power off your modem and OBi and connect the OBi directly to the modem.  Then power on the modem and wait for it to obtain sync.  Then power on the OBi and wait for the PHONE LED to light.

Then make several test calls and see if the problem is gone.  If it's not, the problem is not your router.  If the problem is gone, your router is very suspect and may work better if you forward SIP and RTP ports to the OBi.

leebo

Well, that would be difficult to do. The issue only happens about once every other day. I might make 8 to 10 calls over the course of two or three days before I experience the issue. I would have to go without Internet for several days if I followed your suggestion.

Also, since the issue has continued through three different routers (brands, models), and only happens with outgoing calls, would you please explain your logic? I assume incoming calls use the same ports? and yet there's never a problem with them.

If I had been using the same router all along your suggestion would make more sense to me. Maybe I'm just not understanding.

I started this thread to separate GV/GTalk users having this issue from non-GV/GTalk users having this issue, as it is my belief this is a Google issue (like the random button tones issue).