News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cannot set static IP

Started by vdantoni, January 27, 2012, 06:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdantoni

Hi, I am having problems setting a static IP on my obi 100 using the expert configuration. Under "system management /network settings" I have set the obi's IP as static, address 192.168.0.3, subnet mask as 255.255.255.0, the default gateway as 192.168.0.1 (my router's ip) and set my DNSes as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. The problem is that, while every other setting is "accepted" by the obi, the addressing type seems to revert automatically to DHCP every time. I have resetted the unit several times and reentered the settings from scratch on the web portal.

I have tried changing the IP directly in my device using the ip address, and it only works for a few seconds as I want before the unit reset itself and returns to DHCP. I suppose that is caused by the online expert settings overwriting those within the unit, and possibly I could disable auto provisioning as a last resort.

As you probably figured it out already I am not the "technical type", so I apologize for my lack of expertise.

Thanks in advance for the support.

Stewart

I see no harm in setting Method to Disabled for both ITSP Provisioning and OBiTalk Provisioning.  Set AddressingType to Static again, reboot and see whether it sticks.  If it does, I suspect a bug at Obihai.

If not, you might try a factory reset (with device not connected to the Internet), then turning off provisioning and setting Static again.  If the setting still won't stick, I'm out of ideas; ask Obihai support.

vdantoni

Thanks Stewart, I disabled both and it works as expected. I guess I'll try to re-enable it when they'll update the firmware and see if it works as it should.

sic0048

You should be able assign a specific fixed address for the Obi via your router.  You can leave the Obi set up for auto DHCP, but the router will always assign it the specific address your choose. 

Stewart

Quote from: sic0048 on January 27, 2012, 10:39:39 AM
You should be able assign a specific fixed address for the Obi via your router.  You can leave the Obi set up for auto DHCP, but the router will always assign it the specific address your choose. 
True (for most modern routers), but there are some very credible posts in this forum, which indicate that the OBi has a subtle DHCP-related bug, for which static IP is a workaround.

The trouble occurs when after a power failure, power is restored and the OBi reboots faster than the router, causing its first DHCP request to be mishandled.  Somehow, the subsequent retries fail; the device does not come online until it is manually power cycled.